AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE - Kenwood DNX516DAB

Transported

I replaced the VW OEM head unit about two years ago, in part to connect a reversing camera to my Startline T6 LWB 2017. What a bad decision! Its interface design is hopeless, the phone speech quality is unintelligible and the screen is useless in modest sunlight. This is meant as a helpful warning. Kenwood, very cleverly, major on a VW OEM-look, and suckers like me buy one. I have told the dealer that if THEY gave me the £1,000 plus a free Kenwood, I would not accept. The Bluetooth connectivity and phonebook upload fails too. It is simply HORRIBLE to live with.

It’s a shame that you’ve had such a bad experience and it’s always good to share that sort of thing but how come it’s taken you two years to realise it or, at least, to start complaining about it?

I've a Kenwood 516DABS - it's been removed it from my old van and it's now in my new one. The interface isn't perfect and in bright sunshine the screen could be easier to read. Other than that it sounds like your particular unit is a pup, as my phone speech quality is perfectly fine, the bluetooth and phonebook uploading all work great.
If I wanted another headunit then I probably wouldn't buy the same model (I prefer real time Satnav) but if a dealer wanted to give me a 516 and £1000 I'd bite their hand off.
Talking of that Satnav I've had a nagging warning on power up telling me my mapping was out of date so got round to updating it last week, at some point I was expecting to end up getting out my debit card but that point never happened, free upgrade and I'm well past any free upgrade point.

Hello guys, I'm going to be picking up my used T6 in the next few days. It has a Kenwood 516 already fitted (possibly factory upgrade on purchase). The usb lead is currently in the glove box so I'm guessing the built in one on the dash has been disconnected.
Is it possible to plug the Kenwood usb into the dash?

Back