Arguing With My Warranty

Teamtractor

Evening lads /lasses .
I’m after some help as I’m desperate now. My flooring in my 2017 kombi has worn totally through to create a hole alongside my clutch.
I took it to Vw Birmingham and they won’t replace under the warranty.
It’s 2 years old and covered 20,000 miles .
I’m awaiting a reply of Vw customer service but they are saying they can’t force Vw Birmingham to change there mind.

The flooring is £1380 so it’s not happening soon.

Has anyone else had this ?

This is my 5th transporter in 22 years. I’ve never had it.

Last edited:
Serious questions:

What size feet do you have - length and width.
Want footwear do you normally drive in ?

Just checked our panel van (20k too) and no wear like that at all.

Pete

It would be interesting to see other people’s experiences (and wear in the same area).

Pete

Sorry to say it may be a difficult one to try and progress, as they will always claim fair wear and tear. Boots are going to be more wearing to the flooring than a pair of trainers, so they could argue that it is your choice of footwear that has exacerbated the damage.
Not sure they will pay much regard to the low mileage.
Good luck in resolving. Your other option if you get nowhere with your claim is to try places such as Cotswold T5 or NorthWest Transporters (both on eBay) as they break a lot of Transporters/ strip them out when owners convert them to campers. So may be able to supply a new front rubber floor at a lower price.

The problem is I have to wear boots for H&S . I’ll never get around it but my last 2 vans did 80&60k without a wear patch.
I’m just so disappointed

I’m awaiting a call back on Thursday

They will class that as wear and tear, not as a fault.

So it would be down to a good will gesture from the dealer or a part payment from VW.....and a payment from yourself.

Thing is the new floor would wear the same.

Maybe try the carpeted floor, or just gaffer tape it over, or some other covering or matting to stop the wear.

It's the same as wearing through the floor with your heal.....VW answer - thats normal wear and tear, you should have used a decent matt.

How can it wear after 20k ? I have some £20 matts on the floor that haven’t even worn . If a £20 Matt lasts longer it’s a worry.
My last t5&5.1 never had any wear after 80&60,000 miles . They’ve definitely changed the quality

DSG here.... so no third pedal...

But do get heal wear. So always use double mats.

20190820_074636.jpg

It looks like the edge of your work boot has rubbed against it each time the clutch pedal is pressed. Probably stating the obvious, but it isn't going to withstand that thousands of times.

Last edited:
My carpet will wear there so I also double mat to prevent that issue and the same as @Dellmassive with wearing a hole where my boot heel goes.

Size 13 feet in boots and a 24 stone frame will rub holes through anything :laugh:

It's just another case of cheap VW saving another few quid. You won't get anywhere with them, frustrating as it is ( and wrong) move on. It will be your last VW I'm guessing?

Cant say I've ever had that problem in any of my vans.
I wear boots all day (although just a size 9), and do 25-30k miles a year.
This is mine after nearly 16k.

IMG-7121.jpg

It's just another case of cheap VW saving another few quid. You won't get anywhere with them, frustrating as it is ( and wrong) move on. It will be your last VW I'm guessing?

The flooring feels cheap compared to previous models and doesn’t fit right around the arch

These are supposed to be top end commercial vehicles
Safety boots are (supposed to be) worn by most trades these days
Is that floor fit for purpose ?

Back