Anyone in to Karting?

T6180

T6 Legend
So, I think I'm getting closer to being happier with how the T6 is looking, still some minor tweaks including finishing the rear of the van.... ..however the rear may need to have a rethink as I've gone a bought this........:thumbsdown::whistle:....Rotax FR125 Electric Start
Anyone else into karting?

20190816_002239.jpg

20190816_002511.jpg

20190816_002404.jpg

That's sweet .

Love karting myself.... but haven't got one. We just go and PAYG. Been to most of the london tracks.

Bring it with you to the next north west meet and we can try it out for you!:)

Bring it with you to the next north west meet and we can try it out for you!:)

Actually we could do with organising another meet while the weather is good. What about a sat or sun at a more picturesque location?

Love karting. Used to go to Daytona in Milton Keynes quite regularly in my 20’s. That was when they had the really fast karts for hire.

We're off to do some karting today. Somewhere is Devon. Then I'm organising a session at Weobley in Herefordshire at the begining of November. Frustratingly, I taught my lad all I know, perhaps too much, because his weight advantage just gives him the edge.

I used to race TKM karts before moving onto racing cars. I was looking at getting a Rotax Max to use over the winter to keep me racing fresh.
Does it fit into the van between the arches without removing the wheels?

I used to race TKM karts before moving onto racing cars. I was looking at getting a Rotax Max to use over the winter to keep me racing fresh.
Does it fit into the van between the arches without removing the wheels?

I have no idea :whistle:, I've not picked it up yet but I hope it fits in the back of a swb with a moxton bulkhead fitted

You're supposed to ask that before you buy the kart!

I raced Rotax Max in sprint and endurance until about a year ago. Looking at the photos, it's running the older engine set up (exhaust pressure power valve, older ignition module, pre 2009 airbox and no doubt the older carb) which for a hobbyist will be fine. They did a much needed clutch update about 10 years ago too - if it's running the older three shoe set up when it fails (it will) you can upgrade the timing gears and clutch to a much more reliable single piece unit. It's worth looking for a cheap Alfano Pro to keep an eye on the water temperature as these things have a fairly narrow temperature window - too low and they can be a bit flat and too hot and the power just drops off (you control it with gaffa tape on the radiator). What spares does it comes with? jets, needles, extra seat stays, starter motor (the wires detach from the brushes), chains, sprockets, wet hubs?

If you want help setting it up, drag it to Teesside and I'll dust off my Tony Kart and join you there.

You're supposed to ask that before you buy the kart!

I raced Rotax Max in sprint and endurance until about a year ago. Looking at the photos, it's running the older engine set up (exhaust pressure power valve, older ignition module, pre 2009 airbox and no doubt the older carb) which for a hobbyist will be fine. They did a much needed clutch update about 10 years ago too - if it's running the older three shoe set up when it fails (it will) you can upgrade the timing gears and clutch to a much more reliable single piece unit. It's worth looking for a cheap Alfano Pro to keep an eye on the water temperature as these things have a fairly narrow temperature window - too low and they can be a bit flat and too hot and the power just drops off (you control it with gaffa tape on the radiator). What spares does it comes with? jets, needles, extra seat stays, starter motor (the wires detach from the brushes), chains, sprockets, wet hubs?

If you want help setting it up, drag it to Teesside and I'll dust off my Tony Kart and join you there.

Cheers for the info, have I bought a lemon and can I upgrade to the latest Air box etc, thinking of getting it Jag serviced before I give it a blast out to make sure all is ok and safe.

So, I think I'm getting closer to being happier with how the T6 is looking, still some minor tweaks including finishing the rear of the van.... ..however the rear may need to have a rethink as I've gone a bought this........:thumbsdown::whistle:....Rotax FR125 Electric Start

View attachment 49212

View attachment 49213

View attachment 49215
Mark I use to race 125 national at British level miss it badly would love another go, you need any help let me know

Cheers for the info, have I bought a lemon and can I upgrade to the latest Air box etc, thinking of getting it Jag serviced before I give it a blast out to make sure all is ok and safe.
Not a lemon at all.

There’s nothing wrong with the older ignition, carb, power valve and airbox (the square airbox actually has a performance advantage over the one it was replaced by) unless you are wanting to get into MSA level racing. For the endurance racing I did, the older spec was written into the rules as there is less to go wrong and they are cheaper to buy and maintain. You just need to feed in the throttle as they don't like being planted which is one of the things the later Evo upgrade sorted. It’s hard to tell just by looking at photos but it doesn’t look like it’s been set up to race as it doesn’t have the extra seat braces you would use to force load into the rear bearing carriers and this is a good thing - raced karts take far more abuse than one used for the occasional track day/test session – there will be less collision damage and there is likely to be far less flattening of the tubes underneath from running kerbs.

With race gearing, the engines will go through a new piston and ring every fifteen hours (some racers will change this every meeting) and a new rod 25 to 30 hours. For test days you can reduce the rear sprocket size by something like three teeth and reduce the stress within the engine to extend the life of the rod. As you’ve identified, these engines are jag sealed and a local builder will happily charge you to replace the internals and set the squish to a setting that he finds works best. If you’re not racing you don’t need the seal so you can do the rebuilds yourself and keep the costs down although some of the engine builders have very reasonable costs. If you don’t know how many hours are on the engine since last rebuild you can get an indication by looking at blow-by below the piston ring by looking up the exhaust port (obviously this doesn’t tell you what the rod is like). These older spec engines can be bought for peanuts now so you can just run yours until the rod lets go and get another. If you look at the barrel it will have a number or a two letter code cast into it - they did change over the years and some work better than others. Do you know when it was last run as if stood with fuel in the carb you might needs to clear the idle circuit jets out - there's some tiny orifices that get blocked and make the engine bog out of slow corners.

If you’ve only ever done arrive and drive karting the rotax will blow your mind. These things accelerate quicker, have a much higher top speed and will corner significantly faster than what you are used to. Make sure the seat is the right size for you and get hold of a rib protector or you will bruise or break ribs.

I’ve been karting for over twenty years now in most of the available classes - Prokarts (just did the British 24hr a couple of weeks ago), Rotax Max, 125, 210 & 250 gearbox (often referred to as ‘National’), Super Pro (600cc V Twin) and Aixro (50hp Wankel) and can honestly say that the Rotax Max is the best all round package out there for speed, reliability, ease of maintenance and low running costs. If your chassis is straight and the engine is relatively fresh, you’ll get lots of fun out of that. If Killo is close to you he will be able to make sure your kart is safe - braking system, steering rose joints, bearings.... and make sure the general kart alignment is good - these Rotax chassis like to twist so it's not unusual to have to realign them every few hours with the help of a scaffold bar.

Not a lemon at all.

There’s nothing wrong with the older ignition, carb, power valve and airbox (the square airbox actually has a performance advantage over the one it was replaced by) unless you are wanting to get into MSA level racing. For the endurance racing I did, the older spec was written into the rules as there is less to go wrong and they are cheaper to buy and maintain. You just need to feed in the throttle as they don't like being planted which is one of the things the later Evo upgrade sorted. It’s hard to tell just by looking at photos but it doesn’t look like it’s been set up to race as it doesn’t have the extra seat braces you would use to force load into the rear bearing carriers and this is a good thing - raced karts take far more abuse than one used for the occasional track day/test session – there will be less collision damage and there is likely to be far less flattening of the tubes underneath from running kerbs.

With race gearing, the engines will go through a new piston and ring every fifteen hours (some racers will change this every meeting) and a new rod 25 to 30 hours. For test days you can reduce the rear sprocket size by something like three teeth and reduce the stress within the engine to extend the life of the rod. As you’ve identified, these engines are jag sealed and a local builder will happily charge you to replace the internals and set the squish to a setting that he finds works best. If you’re not racing you don’t need the seal so you can do the rebuilds yourself and keep the costs down although some of the engine builders have very reasonable costs. If you don’t know how many hours are on the engine since last rebuild you can get an indication by looking at blow-by below the piston ring by looking up the exhaust port (obviously this doesn’t tell you what the rod is like). These older spec engines can be bought for peanuts now so you can just run yours until the rod lets go and get another. If you look at the barrel it will have a number or a two letter code cast into it - they did change over the years and some work better than others. Do you know when it was last run as if stood with fuel in the carb you might needs to clear the idle circuit jets out - there's some tiny orifices that get blocked and make the engine bog out of slow corners.

If you’ve only ever done arrive and drive karting the rotax will blow your mind. These things accelerate quicker, have a much higher top speed and will corner significantly faster than what you are used to. Make sure the seat is the right size for you and get hold of a rib protector or you will bruise or break ribs.

I’ve been karting for over twenty years now in most of the available classes - Prokarts (just did the British 24hr a couple of weeks ago), Rotax Max, 125, 210 & 250 gearbox (often referred to as ‘National’), Super Pro (600cc V Twin) and Aixro (50hp Wankel) and can honestly say that the Rotax Max is the best all round package out there for speed, reliability, ease of maintenance and low running costs. If your chassis is straight and the engine is relatively fresh, you’ll get lots of fun out of that. If Killo is close to you he will be able to make sure your kart is safe - braking system, steering rose joints, bearings.... and make sure the general kart alignment is good - these Rotax chassis like to twist so it's not unusual to have to realign them every few hours with the help of a scaffold bar.

ah mate, thanks for all the info and advice I really appreciate it.

I raced as a 12-13 year old in the Junior Britain class, short lived as my Dad soon realised that I wasn't a speed freak and it's potentially one of the most expensive sports for a kid to be into so he pulled the plug.

I went back to it in my 20's as I thought I had unfinished business and was determined to show the old man I was a racer......many pennies later, I was still slow and at the back :( plus I ran out of money

Still love getting in a kart, but just not that quick!

I've found a alfano pro v1 for £120, is the any good?
Make sure it comes with a mag pick up for your laptimes and the temp sensor and lead which you'll screw into the cylinder head cover. It does sound fairly expensive though as I can remember buying one for about £100 15 years ago (the V1 model). A good place to look is ukkarting.co.uk as there is a free market place on there. It's nowhere near as busy as it used to be with people using facebook but often some good parts on that.

Don't get me wrong, it's not essential you get one straight away as you you can run the radiator uncovered this time of year, but in the colder months it's really handy to keep the engine running at the right temp (I'll check my set up notes for the optimum temperature which from memory is 50 - 55 degrees).

Chasing lap times is good fun though.

EDIT - Just looked at lap timer prices and they have clearly kept their value (I know my amb transponder is worth more now than what I paid for it new in 2007!) and I'm now feeling really guilty for pushing you into spending more money on top of what won't have been a cheap purchase. I do have a couple of spare rib protectors you can have for free though if you've not already got one.

Last edited:
Thanks for adding so much info, it helps when I'm looking for a Rotax Max.

What's the difference between a Max and a Max Evo. Which ones are best value for someone who just wants to do test days?

I raced as a 12-13 year old in the Junior Britain class, short lived as my Dad soon realised that I wasn't a speed freak and it's potentially one of the most expensive sports for a kid to be into so he pulled the plug.

I went back to it in my 20's as I thought I had unfinished business and was determined to show the old man I was a racer......many pennies later, I was still slow and at the back :( plus I ran out of money

Still love getting in a kart, but just not that quick!

Karting changes when you start racing and it can be very expensive. I kept away from MSA and did local club championships and was lucky that the paddock was friendly and in the main gave out good advice - in one meeting my rotax had a misfire which meant I was getting passed on the back straight and my main competitor (he generally finished first and I was usually second) gave me his spare engine so that I could be competitive for the rest of the meeting. It was a pleasure to race then - one of the other competitors had a BBQ running and was feeding the grid between heats. It's not as friendly now so I get out on the mtb much more instead.

Thanks for adding so much info, it helps when I'm looking for a Rotax Max.

What's the difference between a Max and a Max Evo. Which ones are best value for someone who just wants to do test days?
I've never actually driven the EVO myself but the aim was to make the engine easier to drive out of the slower corners so the carb isn't as picky for having the right size jet (on a race day you often change this between heats as the air density changed) and the power valve is operated electronically so that the transition to being fully open is more consistent. The reviews that came out at the time did say it was easier to drive but it was also criticised as some of the skill was in controlling your right foot. You can convert a Prevo (Pre Evo) into an Evo as the changes are external to the engine seal.

For normal test days I'd just stick with the Prevo. You can run a slightly richer jet for the day which may cost you a tenth when the air is at its thinnest. When you look at the chassis, examine the rear bearing carriers and welded seat supports for any cracks and look at the chassis tubes that run next to the fuel tank for flattening underneath where they get ground down driving over kerbs (some people fit chassis protectors here but those looking for the last hundreth don't and use the chassis as if it is a consumable. If the engine is off the chassis you can also visually check for any twisting by aligning the top of the front steering king pins with the rear axle. One thing I learned from buying karts is that there isn't a single honest seller out there. If they say the engine has three hours on it, it really has 13 so you have to physically check everything yourself. Get a retirement package where possible as you'll get bead breakers, tyre tongs, trolley, lots of chains, sprockets, jets, spare clutch/drive sprocket, fuel pump gasket kits, spare battery, hubs, rims/tyres etc which if bought separately would cost hundreds more. The last kart I bought came with a 4ft high roller toolbox full of spares/tools, compressor, race suit, helmet etc....most of which I gave away to friends who also kart.

Back