Anyone Built a Lithium battery?

Epic-Rob

Kiwi member
VIP Member
T6 Guru
So i have a new build coming up when i get my van in Sept and i am looking at the cooking options, want to move away from gas as space bottle takes up and all the palava getting it all certified, i was going to go Diesel cooking but the long warm up times put me off so i think i am going to give induction a crack. you can get small freestanding single or double hobs pretty cheap so i can just use it on the bench or take it outside. seems like a 2000w inverter will run them ok with no massive drain from the batteries - its not like were doing 3 course dinners here.

so on to the batteries
I have just been looking up Lithium batteries for next build and i like to keep it compact and have them under seats if poss (2xsingle seats) got a 100Ah battery under each seat last time.
Anyway just been watching some youtube vids on how you can buy individual cells of 3.2v of various Ah, you fasten 4 of these together along with a BMS and maybe a cell balancer, then it seems i can get 230-280Ah in the same size as the current 100Ah which seems like a big result - and it all works out much cheaper.
i know there is a bit of work ballancing the cells to start with but it looks pretty straightforward - has anyone done this? is it as straight forward as it seems?

Seems like a lot of weight, space and expense for a portable hob. Converting engine power or solar to 12V and storing it, then inverting back to 240v, then induction. I would just go for a portable gas hob running off a cartridge.

My next conversion is planned to use a Cadac twin cartridge. Lighter and smaller footprint than 907 bottle.

In UK we wouldn’t have to fuss with a certification. Is there a different rule in NZ?

yes I assembled 2 lifepo4 batteries of 100a each and powered with a solar panel and the alternator of the van

Seems like a lot of weight, space and expense for a portable hob. Converting engine power or solar to 12V and storing it, then inverting back to 240v, then induction. I would just go for a portable gas hob running off a cartridge.

My next conversion is planned to use a Cadac twin cartridge. Lighter and smaller footprint than 907 bottle.

In UK we wouldn’t have to fuss with a certification. Is there a different rule in NZ?
Yes i did think of portable gas hob, but its not really much more expensive, i already have the batteries so its really only the cost of a 2000w inverter and single induction hobs seem to be pretty cheap.
in NZ you have to have all gas instalations certified, you have to fit gas seal box vented outside etc - it is a lot of FFS to install.
i was going to set hob into bench but thought might as well leave portable.
I dont have mains hook up as we wild camp a lot so having the 240v option just future proofs a lot of things.

Yes i did think of portable gas hob, but its not really much more expensive, i already have the batteries so its really only the cost of a 2000w inverter and single induction hobs seem to be pretty cheap.
in NZ you have to have all gas instalations certified, you have to fit gas seal box vented outside etc - it is a lot of FFS to install.
i was going to set hob into bench but thought might as well leave portable.
I dont have mains hook up as we wild camp a lot so having the 240v option just future proofs a lot of things.
Have a look at Safiery on the web - across the ditch in Qld, but a good indication of what's possible - they have a two hob induction unit that works with the inverter to limit loads - were fitting a 48v 400ah system with a 3000w inverter and induction - once the car arrives which now looks like so stone in 2023..... I've spoken to users and the system is working really well - no gas and no deisel smoke in the campground

Back