Anybody have to wear Hi Viz at work? Waterproof Jacket Suggestions

Jimmi

Television Lighting Engineer
T6 Guru
I’m about to start a new job and have to work outside. I have lots of waterproof gear but on this job I need to wear a hi viz vest. In my experience even wearing a £200 gore tex coat I still get wet shoulders. I reckon it’s because the hi vis soaks up the water and doesn’t allow the rain to bead off the jacket. Then gore tex or not the damp seeps through. So can anyone recommend a vi viz waterproof that doesn’t make you sweat?

Last edited:
I’m about to start a new job and have to work outside. I have lots of waterproof gear but on this job I need to wear a hi viz vest. In my experience! even wearing a £200 gore tex coat I still get wet shoulders. I reckon it’s because the hi vis soaks up the water and doesn’t allow the rain to bead off the jacket. Then gore tex or not the damp seeps through. So can anyone recommend a vi viz waterproof that doesn’t make you sweat?
40 years of working outside and never found anything that's 100% waterproof tried everything
leaks normally zips or seams even decent jackets leak after a while
The other problem is sweating I've had trousers under waterproofs that were as wet as if you'd never had waterproofs on
We generally wear a thin as possible waterproof jacket no waterproof overtrousers and have a change of clothes to go home in

Hi morning jimmi try pulsar work wear. There not to overly priced and the quality is not bad. Goretex stuff as you know can be very expensive. Also try arco. Or greenhams workwear.. There's a guy near us that does the Sunday markets / carboots sells the Goretex work stuff. But I,m not sure when carboots are starting up again.???

Hi morning jimmi try pulsar work wear. There not to overly priced and the quality is not bad. Goretex stuff as you know can be very expensive. Also try arco. Or greenhams workwear.. There's a guy near us that does the Sunday markets / carboots sells the Goretex work stuff. But I,m not sure when carboots are starting up again.???
Agree pulsar are pretty good
For normal hi viz trousers i like porthwest as they have elasticated waist band their coats are not bad either

Paramo. Probably not good for work wear, but never got wet or even remotely damp.

You have to keep it clean and properly washed /treated though.

Military grade Goretex every time and just put your high viz on top. Unless you're working on the highways in which case its all a bit too bulky under the required "uniform"

Surely your new employer should be providing you with all the necessary PPE, or are you self employed?

When on site, I tend to use my motorcycle waterproofs (Dainese). Theyre 100% waterproof. Designed for driving rain at speed. I just chuck a high viz vest over. We have some company hi viz goretex ones but alas theyre not as reliable as my biking ones. Plus there only ever seems to be XXXXXXXL sizes left in the cup'd. I also wear my touring daytona gtx bike boots. I could paddle in puddles all day and still have dry feet. Not strictly toe teckers, but I've convinced many a site office of their safety. Plus theyre comfy and snug. Better than the awful ones provided which look like they should be worn with a polio brace. I should note I dont actually 'work' on site anymore. I just snag, survey, check, attend needless meetings and wander about looking busy.

Edit: when I did work on site, the best I found were the cheap sou'wester style. They were cheap and easy to replace and had a hood.

Last edited:
I always use Engelbert Strauss
It is German workware and it is fantastic stuff
Have a look on their website

Back