Airbag sticker on sun visor.

I can't see how but I feel your pain, it looks grim :(
Maybe cover both the sun visors in some matching fabric? Least that was my next thought!

I think our Fire and Rescue Service members may have an opinion as that is a legally required notice for their safety. How say you @DaveyB ?
Absolutely correct it is one of the places we look for information that tells us what Supplementary Restraint Systems (SRS) features are fitted to the vehicles. Reason being is that when we then start to cut any of the posts we need to know if there is any airbag detonators in them as they don't react well to having cutters going through them. We will "peel and reveal" prior to cutting I.e ripping out all of the interior trim so we can see what we are cutting, but knowing if something isn't there saves us precious time. With the dash, it tells us basically that there are airbags in it so that we do not get in front of it, as it can activate some time after a crash, or as a result of cutting wires. There is a great YouTube clip of an American firefighter getting knocked to the floor by an airbag that activates when he has his head in the car.
Also, just because an airbag has deployed, doesn't make it safe, as modern systems have clever airbags, whereby the car knows that Mrs Miggins is sitting on the steering wheel for her driving position, so only puts a limited detonation through it rather than the full 100% as that would take her head off. This then leaves a residual charge that can activate at some time later.

@DaveyB Thank you for a very clear explanation of the F&RS actions in the event of making an extraction after a serious accident. Such a small thing as the window and visor signs has so much significance and can save unnecessary activity and precious time for the F&RS it would appear.

One question that I have always had, but foolishly never asked. In the event of the non-deployment of air bags after a serious impact, are the air bags on a "hair trigger" and susceptible to activation with subsequent minimal impact or movement ?

Surely the graphic only relates to carrying children in the front passenger's seat and disabling the air-bag as necessary. If you really want to get rid of it I guess that a LHD vehicle does not have that graphic on the left visor so order one of those from a dealer.

The indication of where air-bags are fitted is moulded into (or on a stitched in label) at the location of the bag. i.e. Dash, 'A' post, seat sides etc.

I can see the emergence service point of view but the sun visor graphic does not tell them where all the bags are/could be fitted just to switch off the passenger air-bag in the relevant conditions.

Rod

You can get them off. You need to use rubbing alcohol. Soak a cloth in it, remove the visor and then lay the cloth over the sticker for approx 10 minutes. Then re-soak and have a gentle rub, and it will start lifting. Do this about three or four times till its gone. It will come completely off.

@DaveyB Thank you for a very clear explanation of the F&RS actions in the event of making an extraction after a serious accident. Such a small thing as the window and visor signs has so much significance and can save unnecessary activity and precious time for the F&RS it would appear.

One question that I have always had, but foolishly never asked. In the event of the non-deployment of air bags after a serious impact, are the air bags on a "hair trigger" and susceptible to activation with subsequent minimal impact or movement ?
No......not on a hair trigger, but still very much a hazard. As DaveyB said, they can be activated by creating a short circuit by cutting through the wires. Seat belt pre tensioners are also an issue too, as are pop up roll over bars on convertibles. Modern cars are brilliant at saving you.......but at the same time, present a very significant hazard to emergency services. That's why we disconnect batteries (after we've opened electric windows....moved power seats etc) and switch on hazard lights to indicate whether there is juice flowing........and of course, some modern cars have two batteries. It's a massive subject.....I was always incredibly wary about making a cut! Hybrid's, electric cars and LPG cars are another major hazard that people don't consider. I think all FRS's now have mobile computer terminals on pumps which indicate where all the hazards are for all cars. Believe me, I'd much rather cut open a ford Cortina than a 7 series BMW!!!
Apologies if I got a little carried away there!:thumbsup:

It never fails to astound me when I see people with dogs on their lap sat in the front passenger seat of a modern car.......your average Yorkshire Terrier being propelled through your face at 200mph is going to smart a bit! I've seen my sister do it....she thinks I'm being dramatic when I point out there's an undeployed pyrotechnic device 18" from her face! :(

As @mopardave says they can be unstable, which is why we plaster the car with bright yellow "undeployed airbag" stickers. This is so the recovery vehicle driver and vehicle examiner are aware.
@rod_vw you are absolutely correct there are many other details around the vehicle such as the embossed details, however when you have a seriously distorted passenger cell and the dash is contorted and not where it used to be, it's another little clue. Yes it refers to placement of a baby seat, but my question back to you; would it be there if there was not a passenger airbag fitted in the vehicle?

Back