Advice Needed

Macloon

Hi all I'm new to the forum. Hope all had a good xmas period.
I'm after a bit of advice and peoples thoughts. I had my transporter 61 plate go in for MOT today and it failed. I've been quoted £1150 for new brake discs and pads on all 4 wheels, coil spring suspension on both rear, brake caliper replacement rear drivers side a full service and the MOT.
What are peoples thoughts is this a good deal or very expensive. I'm a novice when it comes to things such as this so any advice would be welcomed. Cheers

Sounds expensive to me but I've not replaced any of those parts on my van yet, ring vw up and price up the bits that'll give you an idea :thumbsup:

using eurocarparts.com as a guide you have about £500 worth of parts,retail pricing - trade would be cheaper. seems their quote seems expensive to me.

Did you get a failure sheet? it seems very strange that 4 discs and pads would all need changing together. Are you sure they are not making some recommendations as to work they think you should have carried out as opposed to needing them to pass the MOT?

It's a pity you didn't take the failure sheet around a few garages to get them to compete for your custom to get the work done...

It may of saved you a few quid and you would of seen how they compared with their pricing in respect to other garages..

When you get this level of MOT failure, it's like everything else... best to shop around...!

Needed to get the work done asap as I use it for work. Did have a quick look on a site called clickmechanic and it was a lottle bit cheaper. So overall view is that it was expensive? Just means I wont be using them in the future neither will family members if so

I got stung once with an Audi A3 where the garage carried out all the advisories on the MOT without my authorisation then hit me with a £900 bill.... They did it they said because the MOT was due to run out the next day.... "But they were only advisories" I argued.. But it was too late and I never went back...

I learnt my lesson that day and now get the MOT done a month before it's due to expire and ask them to ring me before carrying out any work... If it passes they give you a 13 month MOT... If it doesn't it buys you time to weigh up your options...

In your case it looks like they over charged you, you should of got a price breakdown on the parts and labour to see where the money went....

I've tried to look at this from the garage's point of view and maybe come to the conclusion that they charged you a fair price.
But it still seems expensive.
One of my problems with your bill is that so many of the tasks, if completed individually, are labour intensive and expensive. However if like in this case, you need to remove the wheel to fit new pads, then removing and replacing the disc too isn't much extra labour, and it isn't much extra work to replace the caliper while you are there. Of course, while the wheel is off the coil spring isn't difficult to change. What I'm saying is that much of the work is linked and one task makes the others a bit quicker than if you had them done separately a month apart.
I hope they used genuine parts at that price.

Back