A wee heads up dodgy phone numbers

Radford1071s

Paul - Bawdeep
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Afternoon gang had a couple of strange mobile numbers .I didn't answer but did a 901 call it turns out my N.I . Number is changing . Here is the numbers . 07736 370 244 and 07731 476 344 . National insurance number surely stays with you until you get the wooden overcoat on. ???

• Wow
Reactions: CAB
Can't be right, DWP or HMRC wouldn't call from mobile numbers.

Afternoon gang had a couple of strange mobile numbers .I didn't answer but did a 901 call it turns out my N.I . Number is changing . Here is the numbers . 07736 370 244 and 07731 476 344 . National insurance number surely stays with you until you get the wooden overcoat on. ???
I don’t think HMRC or government or whoever would be ringing off a mobile number to start with
My mum got one off dvla other day saying she hadn’t paid her tax
I had one off hermes saying they’d delivered a parcel and I wasn’t in
I checked cctv then rang them up kicking off that they hadn’t been
Turned out it was a scam

Reactions: CAB
I'm being done by HMRC too.

I'm also awaiting the outcome of someone hacking into my computer and using it for illegal activities. I told the fella (Brian, I think he said his name was) that I didn't mind it being hacked. I didn't use it, so at least someone else was able to.

Your NI number is unique to you, never gets used again.
Report the mobile numbers to your network operator and HMRC using the link below

Waste of time reporting the numbers these scum use fictitious numbers to make these calls. It's supposed to be possible for the telecom companies to prevent it once all the country's telecom systems change over to VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) i.e. we are all using internet phones. I heard a couple of weeks ago that that is likely to happen soon after 2025.

Waste of time reporting the numbers these scum use fictitious numbers to make these calls. It's supposed to be possible for the telecom companies to prevent it once all the country's telecom systems change over to VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) i.e. we are all using internet phones. I heard a couple of weeks ago that that is likely to happen soon after 2025.
The scum will find a way around it, they always do.

I've had a few of these recently. A warning that my NI number has been compromised is a common one. I have also received a few emails from the "DVLA" saying that my tax direct debit has been declined but this is also a hoax. There is link included but it is something like dvla.gov.com.something... at a glance it almost looks genuine but clearly isn't. I've blocked numbers and email addresses but as above, they just cycle through various made up numbers etc. and keep trying.

There are a variety of approaches: computers autodialling (whether a list of numbers or generated numbers); “mugs lists” that are traded (value changes from “a number”, “a valid number”, “a valid number that answers”, “a valid number that that presses 1 when requested” and “a valid number who has been a mug before”! The last two are the most dangerous: mugs do get mugged again and pressing 1 could actually be initiating a call which could be a premium rate number! If I’m bored, I take the call for entertainment - I still have a couple of dvla fines to pay and the police are nearby ready to take me off to clink for cocking up my tax return!

There are a variety of approaches: computers autodialling (whether a list of numbers or generated numbers); “mugs lists” that are traded (value changes from “a number”, “a valid number”, “a valid number that answers”, “a valid number that that presses 1 when requested” and “a valid number who has been a mug before”! The last two are the most dangerous: mugs do get mugged again and pressing 1 could actually be initiating a call which could be a premium rate number! If I’m bored, I take the call for entertainment - I still have a couple of dvla fines to pay and the police are nearby ready to take me off to clink for cocking up my tax return!
My PB for how long I can keep them on the line is 9 minutes thirty seconds, I generate loads of "interruptions" (hang on, my cake is baked, can you hurry up, I have a girl here who charges by the minute, etc) and the call usually ends when I press my own doorbell and the dogs reach 100 decibels and I tell them to speak up.

I thought I was winning when I told one of these callers that I didn’t qualify for claiming whatever-he-was-pushing (insurance claim? I can’t recall) by telling him that I lived on Sealand, so wasn’t subject to UK law.
He well and truly done me when he said
“Well, if UK law doesn’t apply there, then maybe you can go and sleep with your sister”
He then hung up!

Touché.

I got several missed calls and then a silent call from an 07 number. I rang it back (assuming it was someone who wanted me). It was answered by someone who denied they'd called me, despite having done so a minute or 2 earlier. I then got 2 more missed calls from the same number. I googled them and there had been a few searches for that number, so it had clearly happened to others. As he answered I assumed therefore it was a genuine mobile, I blocked it, then I gave their number out to so many organisations, several where you asked for daily prayers etc to be texted to you each day. It may have worked, it may not, but it made me feel good whilst I was doing it.:)

I seem to remember once (or I may have completely made this up)
Someone changed their number to a premium rate one so when he got cold calls it cost them a fortune to ring him

Back