325W solar panel

OllieGBR

VCDS user
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Can I just run my [limited] knowledge and plan past the team for critique;

I'm being given a new 325W solar panel by my local installer as I'm buying enough for him to throw one in for 'free', (I've having an additional 5KW system added to my house roof).
It measures 1656x992x40 mm and I will procure brackets to glue it to the roof of my van and replace the failed flexipanel.

I calculate this has a max current of 27Amp, and will need a replacement MPPT. Victron only go up to 20Amp with their 100/20 unit.
I really want to be off-grid and have power hungry kit, (300W water heater, Nespresso, e-bike battery chargers, shower, fridge etc running off LiFePO4 100AH battery - and now that my solar isn't working the battery is going flat regularly).

However, this although a good deal might be overkill, I'll have to source an alternative MPPT other then my beloved Victron :eek: There might be a good reason 325W panels are not used for 12v systems?

Worth a shot or should I invest in the very good unit @Salty Spuds has installed with the nice aero brackets!

Thanks
Ollie

Victron do a 100/30 mppt.

It's 100v VOC and 30A max.

Have a look at that one.

I run two of them with 400w on each. Norm about 24A through put.

Can I just run my [limited] knowledge and plan past the team for critique;

I'm being given a new 325W solar panel by my local installer as I'm buying enough for him to throw one in for 'free', (I've having an additional 5KW system added to my house roof).
It measures 1656x992x40 mm and I will procure brackets to glue it to the roof of my van and replace the failed flexipanel.

I calculate this has a max current of 27Amp, and will need a replacement MPPT. Victron only go up to 20Amp with their 100/20 unit.
I really want to be off-grid and have power hungry kit, (300W water heater, Nespresso, e-bike battery chargers, shower, fridge etc running off LiFePO4 100AH battery - and now that my solar isn't working the battery is going flat regularly).

However, this although a good deal might be overkill, I'll have to source an alternative MPPT other then my beloved Victron :eek: There might be a good reason 325W panels are not used for 12v systems?

Worth a shot or should I invest in the very good unit @Salty Spuds has installed with the nice aero brackets!

Thanks
Ollie
I’ve just measured my panel & it’s 30mm deep, so your panel wouldn’t fit in the same brackets (you can buy the brackets separately). You can get some quite neat universal brackets from PV logic. It’s going to cost a few quid, but you can never have too much power. I’d also check that the panel is suitable for mobile use, vibration/flexing etc. The other thing I’d consider, if you go down this route, is increasing your battery capacity. You’re not going to be able to utilise all the free power if your battery hasn’t the capacity to store it. Sticking a 325W panel on a 100Ah battery isn’t really a balanced system, IMHO.

Fine in the winter at 1/3 capacity. :)
I’d say that’s when you need more battery capacity, for when the sun isn’t as reliable. You need to be able to store as much juice as you can for when the sun isn’t playing.

Reactions: Loz
I’d say that’s when you need more battery capacity, for when the sun isn’t as reliable. You need to be able to store as much juice as you can for when the sun isn’t playing.
agreed, I was being facetious, as my 100W panel can't even keep my 2 leisure batteries at 100% when I'm not using it in the winter.

I'd go with the biggest and most efficient panel you can afford that fits on the roof. The size of the van roof is the main limiting factor when building mobile solar especially in GB weather/sun wise. Everything else can be adjusted to suit. I'd carry on as you are.

I’ve just measured my panel & it’s 30mm deep, so your panel wouldn’t fit in the same brackets (you can buy the brackets separately). You can get some quite neat universal brackets from PV logic. It’s going to cost a few quid, but you can never have too much power. I’d also check that the panel is suitable for mobile use, vibration/flexing etc. The other thing I’d consider, if you go down this route, is increasing your battery capacity. You’re not going to be able to utilise all the free power if your battery hasn’t the capacity to store it. Sticking a 325W panel on a 100Ah battery isn’t really a balanced system, IMHO.
Thanks, aren't all vans continuing works of perfection seeking:rofl:
I will add a second battery at some point, I can utilise the full 100Ah of my current setup and when my last solar panel worked for its short life only needed a little power management.

Back