2004 LWB 2.5TDI Coolant Flooded Engine

bodhisattva

Morning fellow VW folks, I am reaching out for some of your expertise and guidance on what I should do next,

In Dec my much beloved Van decided to dump its coolant, I at first thought it was just a leak, however it turned out to have been a leak into the Engine, I managed to get it to a garage who then filled the coolant with water to see if it was leaking, in turn flooding my engine and its now seized. Then did not want to fix it and towed it back to my house, saying that my best course of action was to buy a reconditioned engine. Having priced one up its about 3k not including fitting.

The Van is fully kitted out to a high standard and I really don't want to sell it for parts as despite it being a little old I love it!

Any guidance, words of wisdom from this community would be very much welcomed on my next steps, is it worth getting someone to see if the curernt engine can be saved? do I bite the bullet and get another engine, or should I just sell it and try and get another base van and strip out my interior and start again?

That depends on how long the coolant has been in the cylinders.
EDIT; just saw Dec mentioned. Unless you are doing the work yourself I would estimate that it’s almost certainly better to fit another short engine.

Back