17" Diameter Winter Tyres

YellowHound

Photographer
VIP Member
T6 Legend
I am looking for a set of winter tyres (not 4 season) to go on my Devonports.

I have been looking for 215/60 R17 103 but am finding very limited choice in that load rating. If I look at the VW alternative size of 235/55 R17 there is a far greater choice in the 103 load rating, but the price is higher and the narrower tyre would be better for winter use.

Ideally I'd like to keep to a max of £500 fitted, and steer clear of 'budget' tyres.

I'm looking for recommendations please. Thanks.

I think I'll go for them too, they look decent and will fit nicely on my spare wheels. Probably best to do this sooner rather than later as I remember last year the price of winter tyres shot up and availability was massively reduced once the snow hit.

I can then get my ABT wheels off, cleaned up, protected and stored away before the road salt even gets near them.

i understand people who want to stay away from budget tyres but they are not what they used to be
i however have tried the best and worst and after many years the best are not always the best but are the most expensive
Michelin took over this company so i tried a set about 4 years ago and i was very impressed
Kormoran Snow 235/55 R17 103 V XL » Oponeo.co.uk

£272 a set delivered :)

i will be having these next year

103's are fine for a van up to a T32 I believe? That's what was factory fitted to my T32 bus.

Edit, sorry, my bad, it was Goodyear Cargo 109/107's from the factory on the Devonports.

But a 103 rated tyre is ok up to 875kg. 107 up to 975kg.

My ABT wheels are load rated for a T32 but the tyres fitted are 102y XL (850kg), that's worrying that they aren't correctly load rated?!

Last edited:
I’m in the same situation. I’ve found a Goodyear cargo vector 2 all season, snowflake rated in 215/60/17 107/109 rated. My T5 has cargo vectors on as factory fit & they are still going strong with 40k miles.

I have just ordered a set of Goodyear UltraGrip Performance Gen-1 (Winter Tyre) - 235/55 R17 V (103)

£133 each i was offered them at Gosh how much you paid?
i was told they are very very good..

Last edited:
Have to say I have had crap service from Black Circles on my order.
They have contacted me to say that the fitting agent I selected on their system that was shown as available can't now fit the tyres until some later date.
I really need the tyres fitting this Saturday.
They've pissed about so much today that they now say that they can't get the tyres to a fitter in time for Saturday.
Fab service! :mad:

Got to say have used Cheap Tyres Discount Tyres Buy Tyres Online for tyres were cheaper by about £60 than other web based tyre suppliers and considerably cheaper than black circles (fitted) They are dispatched next day and delivered the following with realtime delivery van tracking.

My local tyre guy charges £10 per wheel to fit and balance, so it works out a lot cheaper buying through Camskills and then dealing with a local fitter.

As a top tip when speaking to tyre fitters, suggest cash and say you don't need a receipt. It seems to keep the price down, I'm not sure why :whistle:

Back