150 dsg v manual towing advice please

James carpenter

Which one to purchase 150 dsg or manual? Will be towing heavy trailer whats it like reversing dsg on trailer or towing ?
Which gives best mpg as I do a few miles any advice appreciated

I tow with a manual 150. Tows great, no going up and down the cogs all the time. The low down torque makes towing easy. I personally would not use a DSG for towing, too much to go wrong. MPG seems to be good too.

I’ve towed a couple of small cars on my trailer with mine and no issues. I temd to stay in 5th for cruising though as 6th seems to drop the revs out of the power range. LWB T32 kombi. Think it would tow much heavier tbh. I’ve averaged around 35ish MPG on a run up to Scotland and then another one down to Castle Combe near Bristol. Certainly am impressed with the towing capability. Bit bouncy if you get the weight distribution wrong though just like most others I guess :)

Own a DSG but had a manual for a week - the DSG was more economical. Dont know if thats due to having an extra gear given most of my mileage was on motorway.

Have towed with both manual and dsg, and found manual better. A dsg is up and down the box constantly and won’t hold top gear even on the motorway. Reversing up the slightest incline is also a pita with a dsg.

Much appreciated so when reversing does it hesitate then lurch backwards I test drove a dsg seemed to hesitate when changing gear and gave me a bit off a seesaw feeling wish I had off test drove for longer as some say theirs are very smooth do they vary?

I tow a 24ft Swift 6 berth caravan with my 150 DSG. No problemo at all but I do move it to semi auto in 6th gear when motorway cruising. I used to tow with Audi Q5 Stronic(DSG) and I would say gearbox and engine wise the T6 is better for having more torque and not needing to rev the engine more. Reversing is fine not a problem at all. DSG all the way for me..clutch pedal?? why when you can have a solenoid do it for you seamlessly.

I think even an unladen DSG can be annoying to go backwards if any kind of kerb or gradient tbh. Its like there is nothing and then all of a sudden rocket ship.

That said going forwards and as a daily driver I would never even own a manual.

More advise needed please, looking at extras on a new highliner dsg 204 bh. What would you recommend to add on at factory ?

I tow with a dsg with no issues, I would never want to tow with a manual again! Changing gears is ballache! Especially in heavy traffic Maybe towing with a 150 is the problem? I don’t have any issues at all with a 204, just cruises along fine and dandy and as for fuel can’t say I really worry

Last edited:
I,m towing with my 2017 204 T32 aprox 2.3 ton with no problem , my Amarok does tow better but you would expect that.
I tow a caravan with My DSG 140 and reverse without any issues at all. I do have a Dtuk tuning and pedal box which I think helps a lot. Don’t seem to have any issues with going up and down gears.

Back