10v or 12v?

Lee

T6 Pro
Hi all,

I'm looking for a charger for when my macbook pro laptop runs out of juice, I have a 12v socket on the dash and a 10v socket in the back, not sure which I should use.

I have a solar panel on the roof, perhaps the 10v runs off that?

Cheers
Lee

Both will be 12v.
10A is a lot; make sure you have circuit protection for the Mac. We charge ours fine off our 12v circuit.

Gotcha, so will a 12v charger work with it.

Also, there is a readout for the solar battery, usually sits around 13, anyone know what this is?

Everything in the vehicle will be 12V, that is the standard voltage for all vehicles (excluding trucks/lorries)

13 on the display is probably the charging voltage, its normally a bit higher than 12V that is just whats offered to the battery so totally normal

The 10 Amp rating on the socket is just letting you know what that particular socket is rated at, there are heavy duty ones that go a bit above this up to 12 or 15 amps i think its just an indicator of what the maximum current is that can be drawn from that socket.
You can run anything you like from that socket as long as you dont exceed 10 amps @ 12 volt.
This is normally fine for phone/tablet chargers with or without usb adaptors but not all laptops etc can use this kind of socket as some need more power than this, i am unfamiliar with mac stuff but if they make a 12V charger for them then hopefully you will be fine, if you are not sure about anything post a link to what you are looking and we can check it out in a bit more detail

I am a bit confused by this, i searched for 12v chargers and got plenty of results on eBay/amazom/random sites showing cig socket plugin chargers with and without usbs on them seemed to be 60W & 85W versions, but when i followed links to apple help site where people were asking the same question it said you couldnt do it and may need a 230V invertor ??
Not being a mac man i dont know much about this but will ask around and see what i can find out, @VanBlanc your a travelling mac guy have you ever done this ?

Find the right power adapter and cord for your Mac notebook - Apple Support
12v. charger for MacBook Pro? | Official Apple Support Communities
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Charger-MacBook-display-13-inch-Magsafe/dp/B00KYYU8T0

I just checked my PSU from my macbook Pro and the output is 20V 4.25A so you would need a dc-dc converter to step up to 20v or a mains inverter(inefficient).
Modern dc-dc converters can do this but the challenge is getting the magsafe 2 connector on the end of a cable. I'll do some searching and add to this thread if I find anything. (I expect there is a Chinese suppler somewhere who has made one )

edit: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Charger-Ma...7_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=7YS0TP7SKPQ2N1W72T2P this is 80W version of the one pauly found suitable for MBP.

We charge iPads and iPhones with 12V - USB adapters no problem

I have never tried Mrs VBs Mac Book as it hardly ever travels with us. It only has a 230/110 power supply. Difficult to read but this says "Output = 1.5V @ 4.6A, 16.5V @ 3.5A". Whether Mac Book draws that much on charge I haven't a clue.

TBH the battery lasts well enough so the odd occasion it travels I look for mains hook up or be in some else's home or business.

I have to admit we just use the Euro socket (which runs off 12v) all Calis have - just plug a "normal" plug onto the adaptor but it can do USB plugs too. Works for beard trimmers, the Mac, phones, whatever just as long as it's below 1200W.
For over 1200W you need to plug into the UK socket and run it off hook up. Which also trickle charges the driver battery as well as the two leisure batteries. Quite well though out I reckon.

Sounds like it would be easier to get a new MacBook with the USB C input.

Back