The California Concept…

looks very swish! The rear seats look more comfortable than the current Cali! although the downside is they probably don't make a comfy bed

To be honest if all you ever do is sleep in the van on short over night trips, use the pub for meals and there is only 1 or 2 of you i'm sure it is more than sufficient. A weeks camping for a family of 4 might struggle!

looks very swish! The rear seats look more comfortable than the current Cali! although the downside is they probably don't make a comfy bed

To be honest if all you ever do is sleep in the van on short over night trips, use the pub for meals and there is only 1 or 2 of you i'm sure it is more than sufficient. A weeks camping for a family of 4 might struggle!
My thoughts exactly. The new features incorporated look great, and the quality of finish has improved. But, there is always a but, there is a lot less storage than in the current California.

Love this!

It looks classy with some nice finishing details.

But it will be way above the £70k Carwow are suggesting. And I'm not sure I'd want a hybrid campervan...

I think it looks good and I like the open aspect of twin sliding doors. But underneath the design, it looks to me like practicality is an issue - it’s narrower and despite being LWB seems to have less storage capacity than our existing 6.1 SWB van. I also don’t understand why a single induction and single gas hob is provided, 2 gas seems way more practical to me. Or, 2 induction if they could run off the battery. Perhaps this is only to show capability in the concept and buyers would be able to specify which they prefer?

I am interested in a PHEV camper as our diesel van is a daily driver and I worry about DPF issues with lots of short journeys. So I’ll take a closer look when I can see the new Cali in a VW van centre and they release pricing. I think pricing may scare me off though!

Is this a statement by VW? They are just gently telling us there will be no Transporter based Cali going forward?

Like many others I use my camper to support the sports I like to do, surfing, wing foil and cycling etc. That's why I wasn't interested in the current California (and no LWB) and for sure that looks like it goes double for this one. The old VW campers were popularised by surfers because they fitted surfing life, these don't even look like you could put a surfboard on the roof!

Reactions: DXX
There's a lot of things I like in this concept.

I like twin sliders, if we ever went full camper I'd want to keep that and have wind out awning one side and drive away the other.

The kitchen that slides across the second slider door I really like, the "oh look it's a side kitchen and wardrobe" solution works but seems to have squashed innovation. I do wonder with limited space why the full plumbing and sink, just have some water storage. The pop out torch and outside sockets are neat, not sure about the pop out grill and keeping it clean.

I also like the way the seats are done, finally you don't have to compromise on height or swivel, and no handbrake, both things VW could have fixed much earlier. The back seats look removable too for those that need to lug stuff

I'm not sure about the mood lighting. It rarely does a nice warm white well and long strip like that only needs one LED to die for it to look cheap.

The remote use given that everything is electronic anyway is neat if it's been done well. And by well I mean using a simple web page served from the vans WiFi hotspot. If it's an app then that's an issue - you don't need to have access to the majority of the stuff over the internet, just next to your van but more importantly basic web protocols are largely stable over long periods of time and likely still to work in 10 years time, will VW maintain the bespoke app for the same length of time?

It's not an IdBuzz but looks to be similar coin.
Don't get me wrong I can't afford either but I want the IdBuzz :inlove:whereas the T7 Conversionia is based on that T7 Multivan that was at Busfest last year and that looked like a dreary last gasp estate car based people carrier, the IdBuzz looks like a Splittys whizzkid grandchild and a much better way of squandering £70 large plus.:(

Watched a fair bit of YouTube stuff on the van now and I have to say I quite like it. Looking forward to seeing one in the flesh, and of course the price list.
If I can chuck in 20k on top of my 6.1 it could be a contender. Any speculation on uk availability ?

Back