Rust on drivers door sill T6 2019 (not seal)

Loggy88

Hi all,

I’ve just bought a T6 2019 plate, 29k converted camper. Gave it a polish over the Easter weekend and noticed a small rust patch/ line on the drivers door will, and on the bottom of the door (see attached image).

A friend has suggested sanding it back then re-spraying, which I feel confident enough doing as a bad job won’t exactly be obvious due to the location. But my question is, does anybody know how this might have happened, and is there anything I can do to prevent it happening again? I was quite surprised to find it as it’s not an old van.

Many thanks,
Ben

(This is my first time posting so apologies for any mistakes)

IMG_1767.jpeg

IMG_1765.jpeg

Clearly the door is or was catching…

I’d get it to a bodyshop for an estimate, your not doing yourself any favours with corrosion DIY jobs

Could check the door fit yourself, visual from outside as you close the door, the rust line indicates its not simply drooping at the back edge, slide a sheet of paper along, can you determine clearance all the way along the lower edge, do the hinges or the B pillar striker look messed about, any free play, can you lift the back edge of the door when its partially open. If there's no obvious fouling, mask off where its good, then use a phosphoric acid de ruster applied with wire wool to remove the rust, then a two pack epoxy anti corrosive primer, brush or spray base coat to the vehicles colour and spray a 2k rattle can clear lacquer. Good luck.

Back