Noise from timing section.

Dm85

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Has anyone had a similar noise appear from the cam/ timing tensioner area?

Sounds like a frog in my engine when it’s cold.

Could be your AUX belt tensioner. Just had mine replaced.

It’s defo not that. It was replaced in feb and I took the aux belt off to see if it was auxiliary but that noise remained. So defo timing belt section. Just a bit concerning. May have to bit the bullet and get the timing sprockets and pulleys done. bit annoying after less than 2 years when VW did the cam service for me

Take the top cover off and check to see if the timing belt is damaged and / or misaligned.

Reactions: St6
Yes mine does I had the noise before cambelt kit was installed and still does it after new kit

Yes mine does I had the noise before cambelt kit was installed and still does it after new kit

I think it’s something to do with the sprockets and they are not changed for a service.

Mine has something very similar, but like a tapping only on cold start. Once I've warmed it up it's gone. Really annoying

Mine has something very similar, but like a tapping only on cold start. Once I've warmed it up it's gone. Really annoying

I know what you mean about the tappy sound as I get that also but only for a few seconds.

I found this online and sounds like what I get. And apparently common on Vw’s. The oil pump!

So you suspect it to be oil pump ? Are you going to get it replaced?

Judging by what other late have said it’s a common thing in the TDI VW’s and I have no fault codes. I may wait till the next timing service

Judging by what other late have said it’s a common thing in the TDI VW’s and I have no fault codes. I may wait till the next timing service. I’ve sent an oil sample away to see if there’s anything to worry about. But to be honest I think I’m looking for problems

Back