Changing from 3/4 Rock and Roll bed to U shape configuration

Jim Rey

VIP Member
T6 Guru
I am thinking of removing my 3/4 M1 tested, Caledonian Campers fitted, Blade Rock and Roll bed and replacing it with a U shaped bench arrangement with cushions and to enable the bench seats to be changed to a bed. Anyone with any experience doing this and illustrate examples etc?

I have a U shape set up. Pros and con's to a R&R. Setting up bed is somewhat of apita so we just leave the bed permanently made up as will only use the van during the summer months so sit outside. If you sleep upstairs then it's probably more useful as it does make a nice seating/dinning area.

That looks exactly what I was thinking about. Looks really good. Thanks for sharing. I don't have a pop-top. I have to make the bed up with the rock and roll bed anyway so not that much different.

That looks exactly what I was thinking about. Looks really good. Thanks for sharing. I don't have a pop-top. I have to make the bed up with the rock and roll bed anyway so not that much different.
Its from van project 77. Been very good quality wise. Had it in for over 5 years and nothing as broken. The cushions are still like new, no sagging. We do have a mattress topper though as the cushions are quite firm.

Good luck.

Try and sit in one with the U shape seating before you commit, I had the Van Project set up and it looked great plus a quality product. My only grip was when sitting on the bench seats my head was virtually touching the van roof and felt a bit claustrophobic ( be even worse with a pop top) I'm 5' 11" btw.. Worth checking before you spend...This was mine....

20231016_104801.jpg

Last edited:
Try and sit in one with the U shape seating before you commit, I had the Van Project set up and it looked great plus a quality product. My only grip was when sitting on the bench seats my head was virtually touching the van roof and felt a bit claustrophobic ( be even worse with a pop top) I'm 5' 11" btw.. Worth checking before you spend...This was mine....

View attachment 240645
I'm only 5ft 7" so should be OK and the bech seat will actually be lower than the rock and roll bed

I am going to be putting my rock and roll bed up for sale soon. It cost me £1,350 and £150 for Caledonian campers to fit it in 2019. It is a M1 tested rock and roll bed with seat belts and in the VW Simora upholstery. I have the M1 test certificate

I am thinking of removing my 3/4 M1 tested, Caledonian Campers fitted, Blade Rock and Roll bed and replacing it with a U shaped bench arrangement with cushions and to enable the bench seats to be changed to a bed. Anyone with any experience doing this and illustrate examples etc?
Evening - Did you decide to do this after? I've been searching for a U shaped layout but ideally want a seat belt in the back, really struggling to find what I'm after.

I have taken out my Rock and Roll bed. and started constructing a seat/bed arrangement.

You can see what I am doing as I have used this guy's construction method - click link >> Dan the Van youTube Video

If you wish to legally carry passengers (insurance wise) in the back on a seat you have to have a forward facing seating provision. Any forward facing passenger seating should have been M1 tested to make sure they are safe as possible in the event of a crash. This does make M1 certified rock and roll beds very heavy and can cause the back end of the van to sink a bit so it would be advisable to get the suspension ay the back fitted with lifting rings to even out the front/back of the vehicle.

If you regularly need to carry passengers in the back then you might need to go the rock and `roll bed route. In my case it's just me and my wife so the double passenger seat in the front suits my purposes more. This is why I took the Rock and Roll bed out.

I will be be putting my rock and roll bed up for sale soon.

When I finish the new layout I will post pictures here but it will be a few weeks.

Hope this helps
Cheers
Jim

View attachment 240645
I am just 5ft 7" and I clear the roof just, at the back. If I move forward it's better. Wife is 5ft 4". If I had been any taller think I might not have gone down the bench seat route. I can see being 5ft 11" would be an issue. Ps. your van looks excellent!

Back