Hi all,

Test drove a SWB Kombi at the weekend and have been giving myself brain ache since, I have in the deal the Sportline springs being fitted (if I go ahead) to improve the stance but know I’m going to need bigger wheels to be happy with look (before side bars, spoiler etc etc!).
My question is having never had a van or done any customisations looking at the 19 and 20 inch wheels for sale when you choose a wheel and tyre package they either don’t list the brand or it’s something I’ve never heard off!
What do people generally run tyre wise on larger wheels, I’m aware they need different load ratings so not really sure what I’m looking at and what is a good middle ground ie decent grip and wet weather ability breaking wise as they need to be safe and well as looking good!

Cheers

I’ll never buy anything other than good year eagle f1s a-symmetrics, I’ve run them on four previous Audi’s and now run them on my van which has 265/40/20s on!

Hi all,

Test drove a SWB Kombi at the weekend and have been giving myself brain ache since, I have in the deal the Sportline springs being fitted (if I go ahead) to improve the stance but know I’m going to need bigger wheels to be happy with look (before side bars, spoiler etc etc!).
My question is having never had a van or done any customisations looking at the 19 and 20 inch wheels for sale when you choose a wheel and tyre package they either don’t list the brand or it’s something I’ve never heard off!
What do people generally run tyre wise on larger wheels, I’m aware they need different load ratings so not really sure what I’m looking at and what is a good middle ground ie decent grip and wet weather ability breaking wise as they need to be safe and well as looking good!

Cheers
I've been messing about with VW T's for about 14 years now, and your questions are just as relevant to some body new to VW T's as they are to an old timer :thumbsup:
When ever I think I know which way I'm going with my next set of rubber, something new comes along; or indeed some existing disappears, and I'm back to square 1.
My personal starting point is that it has to be All-Season have 3PMSN (or have very nearly the abilities of a winter rated tyre); I just can't be assed to switch my tyres winter/summer. Even more importantly imo our seasons the UK isn't like many countries; we can have warmer winters and no definite switch over week; with a cold snap in the middle (a few days). So for me living in Lincolnshire. my tyre of choice has to meet a different criteria to living in the Austrian Tyrol or indeed some parts of Scotland.
If I was choosing between 19"/20" my tyre thoughts would be:
235/50/19
Michelin CrossClimate SUV 235/50 R19 103 W XL » Oponeo.co.uk
with a load index of 103, it's suitable for all regular transporters regardless of published gross weight i.e upto T32. These tyres are around +3.5% oversized in terms of rolling radius/gearing.
They are also really good in the summer/wet weather breaking.
For 20" maybe 245/45/20, but these are getting a little large for me, All-Seasons

I've run falken fk510s on the last 3 sets of wheels and I really like them, quiet too, great in the wet and grips well in the corners....all in all I only buy them now

@T6180 , @Noddy996

Would one of you guys be kind enough to tell me the maximum pressure for the FK510's please. It'll be moulded into the sidewall somewhere. Thanks.

@Dieseldonkey I am running them on a staggered set of 18” wheels 8.5” fronts and 9.5” rears) on a full camper conversion, at 45psi. Max stated on the tyre is 50 psi.

@Dieseldonkey I am running them on a staggered set of 18” wheels 8.5” fronts and 9.5” rears) on a full camper conversion, at 45psi. Max stated on the tyre is 50 psi.

That's great. If they can take 50 psi that rules them in for a future possibility in tyre choice for me. Thanks for that.

Best option for new T6.1 van we are getting mid March. Rims i am looking at are 17 x 8. i am thinking 70% road, 30% light off road use for tyres. Recommendations for size and brands.

if you are not going 50% offroad 50% road BFGs are maybe to agresive, another at tires are:
general grabber at3 (they have new specs E,C, they was F,E so they improve Fuel efficiency and Wet Grip , but be careful and dont buy that old ones if you choose them)
pirelli scorpion
Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S
sizes are 225/65 r17, 235/65 r17,
225/60 r17, 235/60 r17, (this sizes are not made by every brands)
sorry for my english( i am from slovakia)

I had Goodyear Wranglers on my Amarok. Great on the road and surprisingly brilliant when hub deep in mud.

Here in Oz there's great variety of roads surfaces, some are smooth and generate very little tyre roar or hum others are so coarse that the cabin noise can be a bit excessive above 80kph. Does anyone have a recommendation for the quietest tyres? And can you change the commercial tyres that came with the vehicle for something less noisy, maybe something for an SUV? I carry at most about 200-300kg load being a DIY camper conversion. I have heat and sound insulation installed throughout most of the vehicle, except the front doors and dash/floor etc. and it doesn't seem to make any difference to the tyre noise.

Looking to get some tyres for my 20''Velare staggered rims, 8.5j +10j sitting on Komfort b14s at 55mm drop.

Looking to spend in the region of £600.

Hankook Ventus Evo 3 (245/45 front + 275/40/ rear) coming in at £625 and Uniroyal rain sport 5 for £525.

I have never had any of these makes of tyres and just wondering if anyone has and what your thoughts. Are the Hankook's worth the extra £100 by a mile?

Cheers, NickyB

I’ve used Rainsport in the past on my car and they were excellent. Didn’t last as long as my previous tyres (Dunlop sport max), but pound for pound they were a good buy.

Back