Your best £1-£100 van investment

£20 on a roll of foil insulation from Screwfix. Made a full set of thermal window blinds & a liner for the poptop. We use it all year round, keeps it cool in summer, warm in winter & quiet & dark all year.

Sub 100 quid items I'd buy again...

1. Auto Vox reversing camera £39
2. Leather steering wheel cover £29
3. Carista £11

And of course... 20180901_155739.jpg
4. Malcolm McMonkey...priceless.

Door seals are my wish id never bothered mod, sick of the door taking two attempts to close and walking away from the van and not hearing the beep of my alarm sounding and having to walk back to shut the door properly.

My doors are still shutting perfectly - have not even come close to bouncing off the seals. It looks as though there are many different options, and a small change in dimension, material and fitting location could make a big difference.

My doors are still shutting perfectly - have not even come close to bouncing off the seals. It looks as though there are many different options, and a small change in dimension, material and fitting location could make a big difference.

You could also be heavy handed

IMG_20181111_160025.jpg
IMG_20181111_160040.jpg
T6 - 66 plate
Replaced the stock windscreen wipers with Bosch all round. Now it's totally silent rather than a juddering noise fest !

Edit: just remembered I tried the Goodyear Stealth ones from Costco, rubbish. If any have the same problem go straight to Bosch !

Last edited:
Replaced the stock windscreen wipers with Bosch all round. Not it's totally silent rather than a juddering noise fest !
Good tip, think I'll try this. I had to turn off the tear wipe function as that final juddery squeak of a pass meant that it left the windscreen in a worse state than before.

View attachment 33714
View attachment 33715
T6 - 66 plate
Replaced the stock windscreen wipers with Bosch all round. Now it's totally silent rather than a juddering noise fest !

Edit: just remembered I tried the Goodyear Stealth ones from Costco, rubbish. If any have the same problem go straight to Bosch !

Will the AP24U fit both the driver side and passenger side blades, ie are they both the same size? If so I'll order two tonight, my blades are juddery and leave smeary gaps at the top.

A brodit phone holder.
Dread to think how many useless holders I’ve bought over the years.
Me too, got a drawerful of the things! Looking forward to the budget allowing me to get a Carplay stereo and ditch the holder altogether, got one in the car and the phone gets plugged into a USB in the storage box under the armrest out of the way, much better.

Will the AP24U fit both the driver side and passenger side blades, ie are they both the same size? If so I'll order two tonight, my blades are juddery and leave smeary gaps at the top.

Instead of being a lazy git I've gone out and measured them and they are indeed the same size, 24inches. Blades ordered and should be here for Thursday.
Thanks for the suggestion Teejay1.

A brodit phone holder.
Dread to think how many useless holders I’ve bought over the years.
Wow, those Brodit holders look like they’ve covered all bases. Which mount did you go for - one that covers the centre vent, or the one that clips in to the top of the dash tray?

072E5085-FF5D-4F61-BF21-516B7EFFE16D.jpeg DF44B18D-3D75-4E76-9DD8-6C05336382F0.jpeg
Any photos @Salty Spuds how you attached them to windows and pop top ? cheers;)
Re. The window blinds. We made them a tight fit within the window & “thumb” them into the sealing rubbers. The curtains do the rest.
The inner roof liner was a tad more technical. We templated the roof canvas (it’s deceptively “un square”). We cut insulation to match the roof canvas panels & made corner hinges with gaffer tape. We taped plastic rods into the front vertical corners to give support. The liner is a tight fit top & bottom between the roof lid & base frame. Some spring loaded net curtain poles from Wilko hold everything in place. Sounds more complicated than it is.

View attachment 33740 View attachment 33741
Re. The window blinds. We made them a tight fit within the window & “thumb” them into the sealing rubbers. The curtains do the rest.
The inner roof liner was a tad more technical. We templated the roof canvas (it’s deceptively “un square”). We cut insulation to match the roof canvas panels & made corner hinges with gaffer tape. We taped plastic rods into the front vertical corners to give support. The liner is a tight fit top & bottom between the roof lid & base frame. Some spring loaded net curtain poles from Wilko hold everything in place. Sounds more complicated than it is.

Thanks @Salty Spuds looks very cosy indeed. I've added it to my mahoosive list of nice to have/essential items:thumbsup:- Getting longer all the time especially reading threads like this :D

I use the Brodit too, but instead of the phone specific cradle, fitted a generic magnetic holder instead. I used to mount my phone here but to be honest, taking or making calls was getting done through the head unit, so unless it needs charged, the phone pretty much stays in my pocket most of the time. But for longer journeys, this is handy for mounting a tablet. Can split the screen so that Spotify and Google maps or Waze are on at the same time. Its about as close to fingers tips as you can get without taking your hands off the wheel.

Screenshot_20181218-205135_Gallery.jpg

20181218_212233.jpg

Back