Yellow Flame On Smev 9222

bullracing

VIP Member
T6 Guru
So I have fitted the Smev 9222 in the camper with a campingaz 907 bottle connected to a 907 adaptor valve, rubber hose to the Truma regulator and isolation valve. This is then connected to the smev via copper pipe.

The bottle feels atleast half full. I've hardly ever used it. I've used it twice since fitting. I have noticed the flame has yellow tips to the flame, alot more then I would expect.
I understand this usually means not enough air but I get this even if the van door is open.

I am not sure if this is correct. I personally feel its not right going by my use of hobs throughout my life ha ha. Can any one give some opinions and suggestions on what I could try please?

Could be a partially blocked jet.
As an aside, I hope you have a CO alarm in the van.

Yellow colour is caused by glowing soot (carbon) in the flame produced by incomplete combustion due to not enough oxygen. The other product is CO so it’s definitely not right and 100% need a detector

I do have a CO detector guys. 1st thing that went in the van.
Its brand new so any ideas where I should start to look for the problem? I cant really add more air as the van doors open.

I do have a CO detector guys. 1st thing that went in the van.
Its brand new so any ideas where I should start to look for the problem? I cant really add more air as the van doors open.
Have you/can you, strip down the burner? You might have a foreign object or water around the jet. We sometimes get a similar problem when a pan or the kettle has boiled over & water has run into the burner. If it’s new, you need to check with the installer that the correct jet is fitted for whatever gas you’re using.

So I have fitted the Smev 9222 in the camper with a campingaz 907 bottle connected to a 907 adaptor valve, rubber hose to the Truma regulator and isolation valve. This is then connected to the smev via copper pipe.

The bottle feels atleast half full. I've hardly ever used it. I've used it twice since fitting. I have noticed the flame has yellow tips to the flame, alot more then I would expect.
I understand this usually means not enough air but I get this even if the van door is open.

I am not sure if this is correct. I personally feel its not right going by my use of hobs throughout my life ha ha. Can any one give some opinions and suggestions on what I could try please?

maybe be its to cold for the butane in a 907 to gasify from a liquid properly take the bottle in doors to warm up then try it again

maybe be its to cold for the butane in a 907 to gasify from a liquid properly take the bottle in doors to warm up then try it again

Can you get hold of another gas cylinder to try ? It could be an issue with the gas itself.

Pete

It is a fairly old bottle. I think I've had it 2 years. Its pretty much full though. I do need to get myself a spare bottle so I dont get caught out so I will try source one and try that.

I am doubious about starting to take it apart to look just incase it voids warranty. I have asked if they have suggestions so if they say go ahead and check the valve I will dive into it feet first. Trying to see if I could diagnose it or pin point it. ooooohhhhh ok I have just had an Idea. I have a portable twin hob which I can use to check the bottle/gas. I will do that.

The bottle is in the furniture below the sink. It has a thermal cover on it. It could be cold but it wont be less then 14C as the van is kept in the workshop until its ready to use then the night heater keeps the inside at 17C when in use. Given the bottle will be cooler then this though and especially when I use it the bottle will cool even more. I will keep an eye on the bottle temps. I am out in it again at the weekend.

How long have you let it burn ? If there is something in or around the jet, perhaps from the manufacturing process, then a decent long burn could sort it out.

Pete

I've had about 2-3 burns. 1 to boil kettle, the others to cook bacon and eggs. They have probably been run for around 10-15mins max.

Did you ever get to the bottom of this? I have precisely the same problem. At first I was worried that the product was just terrible and not fit for purpose but several other people on here seem to suggest they work brilliantly-any tips on a fix massively appreciated!

Back