x2 leisure battery - alternator upgrade too?

Josh Corps

So, I'm about to embark on the long overdue electrical installation of my van. im sure im going to have many questions along the way but one for now is.

I'm planning a more 'off the grid installation'. would I have to uprate my alternator if i were to fit 2 leisure batteries coming close to 300ah?

No, (T6 uses a smart alternator, 180A ish)

I would say,

Fit a decent DC-DC charger to charge your battery bank from the engine. (Say a 40A one)

Add some solar to charge from daylight, say 150-300w panels with dedicated MPPT charge controller,

Add a EHU charger for when shore power is about.

If your REALY off grid, take a small 1kv generator to connect to the EHU In case you can't use the dc-dc or solar when pitched.

That will have you sorted come snow, wind, rain or a zombie apocolips. (Don't forget the BBQ & Beers)

I am embarking on electrics installation as well, I am edging down the LiFePo4 leisure battery route with the intention of installing solar panels once I get the pop top roof installed.
I am thinking a Redarc BCDC1240D for the charging with the smart alternator of the T6, connected to one (or two if funds allow) Victron 100Ah Lithium SuperPack 12V battery packs, then connect solar up later on (yet to decide on panels for this but I am aware the panels need to be unregulated.)
DC/DC charger https://www.travelvolts.net/product-page/redarc-bcdc1240d
Battery Packs Victron Lithium SuperPack12.8V - 100Ah Smart Battery | onBoardEnergy
Can anyone with more experience advise on the compatibility of these items?

bit more info here >>

*new* Victron - Lithium Lifepo4 Superpack Batteries – An All In One Solution

also Redarc have released the BCDS1250D (also LifePO4 compatible) (just waiting for @travelvolts to get them in stock)

The REDARC BCDC1250D is a 12V 50A In-vehicle DC to DC battery charger. It features REDARC's award-winning In-vehicle charging technology, and can charge from Solar and DC inputs simultaneously.

Dual Input 50A In-vehicle DC Battery Charger

https://www.redarc.com.au/Content/Images/uploaded/BCDC1250D Instruction Manual.pdf

Last edited:
The only thing with the superpack batteries is that they have to be used upright, so I don't think it will fit under the seat. It will have to go in the cupboards under the sink.

The only thing with the superpack batteries is that they have to be used upright, so I don't think it will fit under the seat. It will have to go in the cupboards under the sink.
Super b 90ah packs fit under the seat. Just.

I might be able to get 2 of the 60Ah packs under the seat, will make a couple of cardboard dummies up and try them.

Back