Would you let the van speed limit put you off buying a T32 LWB Kombi vs a Shuttle?

onetwothree

Hi all. About to purchase a van, narrowed it down to a LWB T32 Kombi for £29k or a Shuttle for £26k. Same age (2019), both DSG and similar miles and spec.

Kombi advantages to me would be the number of larger choice of mods, camping pods, converters, roofs etc and this particular one has a few extras like cruise control and a comfort dash.

The only thing stopping me getting the Kombi is the van speed limit rule. Assuming as it's a T32 LWB it would be over the 2040kg mass in service weight however it's weighed, so would have to adhere to the lower limits.

To be honest, I've not really got a problem with that and happy to do so, I'm just worried that as a car driver I'll simply forget and end up doing the limits that have been hard wired into me during the last 25 years of driving and end up getting fined etc.

Anyone regret getting a LWB Kombi when they could have maybe got a Shuttle instead?

It didnt stop me. I'm yet to see 'vans' in general adhere to any limits. I just keep the aweness of the issue in mind, but I dont let it control my thinking. Maybe because I'm a little bit driving miss daisy in the van anyway. I have superbikes and treat speed limits as if they were for others and not me anyway. But in the bus, I drive it like i did my old T2. Slowly, unrushed and calmly. Besides, once i finish my upgrades to camper spec I can reregister it (albeit with difficulty with DVLA) but Im bloody minded, persistent and theyll be worse off for the discourse than I. Besides, you'll be binning a lot of shuttle stuff you dont need and paying for it too. A Kombi is easier in my view. Stuff the speed limits, theyre for chumps and not me. I'm too fabulous. 9 out of 10 road traffic officers agree with this statement. The one that didnt was French and had us for a measly 136mph as I braked for a lovely fast sweeper on my bike. He was very apologetic. I love the French.

Bear in mind, that if you’re going to use it as a ‘motor caravan’ then that will overrule the taxation class regarding speed limits.
Ergo, weight will not be an issue because of your class of use.

Bear in mind, that if you’re going to use it as a ‘motor caravan’ then that will overrule the taxation class regarding speed limits.
Ergo, weight will not be an issue because of your class of use.

It'll never have a full side+kitchen conversion though - just a leisure battery, pop-top, some curtains and a slidepod bed type thing - which as I understand it isn't enough to class it as a 'motor caravan' as the kitchen isn't permanent.

If the kombi has LED headlights, buy that. If it doesn’t, buy the Shuttle. H7’s over candles all day long and save £3k.
Single passenger is £1k to sort if that is what you want.
Cruise is easy to fit.
All the stuff you don’t need in the shuttle can be sold. It’s the same under the panels as a kombi, just with rear quarter windows.
Twin sliders so you can choose which side to get out of the van. Three singles in second row for versatility.
Do I really need to point this stuff out? ;)

Last edited:
Stuff the speed limits, theyre for chumps and not me. I'm too fabulous. 9 out of 10 road traffic officers agree with this statement.
I have superbikes and treat speed limits as if they were for others and not me anyway.

Tongue firmly in cheek I think! :rofl:
But seeing as nobody else is taking the bait, I'd be interested in the link to the survey of traffic officers, all the ones I worked with (I was never on traffic but worked with them for my 28 years in the Police) expressed a different view.
The words, "Your husband was in an accident while out on his motorbike. I'm sorry, he's dead," don't come easy and the many "deathograms" that I delivered were probably the hardest part of the job.

Check road tax, some shuttles were slapped with higher tax bands. Well, the earlier vehicles were anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Check road tax, some shuttles were slapped with higher tax bands. Well, the earlier vehicles were anyway.
Thanks Alan. At this point it seems whichever option I'm going to end up with there's something that will cost more for a particular choice, be it initial purchase price, insurance, road tax, conversion options. VW haven't made it easy for me :)

Tongue firmly in cheek I think! :rofl:
But seeing as nobody else is taking the bait, I'd be interested in the link to the survey of traffic officers, all the ones I worked with (I was never on traffic but worked with them for my 28 years in the Police) expressed a different view.
The words, "Your husband was in an accident while out on his motorbike. I'm sorry, he's dead," don't come easy and the many "deathograms" that I delivered were probably the hardest part of the job.

It was tongue in cheek. I've been riding for over 30yrs and I'm still alive. Due to picking time and place, being aware of conditions and generally not taking the P. I dont speed in urban area ever, i never wheelie or show off. I never undertake and never filter >5mph faster than stationary or slow moving traffic. I press on but with caution. I've had 3 largish accidents. All at below speed limit by schmucks not looking when they pull right out on me. Each was adjudged to be the others fault. All whilst commuting. I no longer commute by bike. But find me an open road, with no traffic and good conditions and I'll press on within my own limitations. I was being non serious, apart from french trip. Really wide road, bog empty departmente road for miles in middle of nowhere, I could see for miles up road but I didnt spot the Gendarme hiding in the bush.

I was being glib.

If the kombi has LED headlights, buy that. If it doesn’t, buy the Shuttle. H7’s over candles all day long and save £3k.
Single passenger is £1k to sort if that is what you want.
Cruise is easy to fit.
All the stuff you don’t need in the shuttle can be sold. It’s the same under the panels as a kombi, just with rear quarter windows.
Twin sliders so you can choose which side to get out of the van. Three singles in second row for versatility.
Do I really need to point this stuff out? ;)

Nope! I can see the pros of a Shuttle for sure. Just seen a 2017 SWB manual one for £20k which is temping for the usage it will actually get (probably use it once a week to go to the beach then for a dozen camping trips in the year). Only got the 83bhp engine, but I'm not towing or loading it up with a full conversion so could be alright.

I just need to buy something so I can stop wasting my days looking for one! :)

It was tongue in cheek.

Good to hear you ride safe. I've actually just sold my motorbike to allow me to pursue this van daydream. I only rode it at the weekends, which is when I plan on using the van.

Was never a fan of riding in the winter or cold or wet anyway, but I'll happily drive somewhere nice to walk the dog and sit in the back of a van with my Thermos and something to read no matter the weather.

It was tongue in cheek. I've been riding for over 30yrs and I'm still alive. Due to picking time and place, being aware of conditions and generally not taking the P. I dont speed in urban area ever, i never wheelie or show off. I never undertake and never filter >5mph faster than stationary or slow moving traffic. I press on but with caution. I've had 3 largish accidents. All at below speed limit by schmucks not looking when they pull right out on me. Each was adjudged to be the others fault. All whilst commuting. I no longer commute by bike. But find me an open road, with no traffic and good conditions and I'll press on within my own limitations. I was being non serious, apart from french trip. Really wide road, bog empty departmente road for miles in middle of nowhere, I could see for miles up road but I didnt spot the Gendarme hiding in the bush.

I was being glib.
I'm glad to hear it! :thumbsup:
Stay safe, when you're in a box it doesn't matter who's fault it was!

Nope! I can see the pros of a Shuttle for sure. Just seen a 2017 SWB manual one for £20k which is temping for the usage it will actually get (probably use it once a week to go to the beach then for a dozen camping trips in the year). Only got the 83bhp engine, but I'm not towing or loading it up with a full conversion so could be alright.

I just need to buy something so I can stop wasting my days looking for one! :)

LOL. Can't tell you how many hours I have spent looking. Picking my Shuttle up Friday.

Have you looked on the Volkswagen used pages under SE Shuttle. Quite a few 2019's with <15k miles for ~£25-26k.

I’ve not had a ticket yet, touch wood from doing 70/80 on a motorway in my 2018 T32..

My t32 199 4motion feels a heavy beast, happy to use the acc and just cruise around. Probably consider upgrading the suspension at some point as told it can handle like a gti. But not the kind of vehicle at the moment to bother speed limits.

Hi - Im looking at Shuttle's too - can anybody tell me if they have any insulation under the plastic and if not can you insulate and then reinstall the original plastic trim inc the window blinds etc? I was thinking of building a simple camper out of a LWB T6 shuttle, leaving the original floor keeping the original rear bench seat to fold over and put a mattress on top using something like the SlidePods Utility Pod and then also installing something like another Pod with cooker/ sink bolted into the floor behind the drivers seat. I would install swivel seats, diesel heater and solar

Am I mad to consider such a basic conversion of a Shuttle?

Hi - Im looking at Shuttle's too - can anybody tell me if they have any insulation under the plastic and if not can you insulate and then reinstall the original plastic trim inc the window blinds etc? I was thinking of building a simple camper out of a LWB T6 shuttle, leaving the original floor keeping the original rear bench seat to fold over and put a mattress on top using something like the SlidePods Utility Pod and then also installing something like another Pod with cooker/ sink bolted into the floor behind the drivers seat. I would install swivel seats, diesel heater and solar

Am I mad to consider such a basic conversion of a Shuttle?
Hi ...No one is right or wrong when it comes to vans ...but you can spend to much ....try before you buy...Hire which ever van you think you want and see if it works ....but all ways think and plan for any future needs and factor it in...May save you money :)

Back