Would a Remap with 20” affect my MPG?

Cjhudson1

Hi,

I have a 2016 vw t6, I was after it getting remapped, hopefully to the 150bhp and 330 torque. But I'm running on 20inch wheels, 265/40/20.
Would it make any difference to my mpg as I've went bigger in tyres, and will the drive be as smooth increasing the bhp on bigger wheels.

Might sound stupid but I'm not into cars to generally understand what will happen, just after some people's opinions and what they think.

Remap will be done by professional company.

Thanks

Screenshot_20210630-215754_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210630-215555_Gallery.jpg

You've got 83HP in a T6, about the same HP as my daughter's Fiat 500 which is slow.
Just do it, the benefits in drivability will far outweigh any disadvantages in terms of fuel economy, if there are any.
Don't worry about the wheels, your tyre size is spot on.

To create power power, you use more fuel. However, as I pointed out in another thread, whilst the tuned version will make 150 horsepower, it will only do that when you ask it to with your right foot.

Fuel usage is pretty much proportional to throttle position. Larger, heavier wheels take more energy to turn them, so need the throttle open for longer compared to smaller ones. With more torque on tap, you can get up to speed faster, so whilst you'll be using more fuel when accelerating, you'll be doing it for a shorter amount of time, meaning more of you journey is done with less pedal pressure.

Post remap, if you fit larger wheels and drive it like a clown, you'll use more fuel. Fit larger wheels and drive it as you normally would, you'll probably see no difference in fuel economy, but you'll have a nicer van to drive

Thanks for your input. Yeah a dont drive like an idiot, I'm getting around 38mpg only doing short trips to work and back during the week.

And with 16inch wheels was roughly the same, so am I right thinking the remap will not really benefit me mpg wise, but I'm going to feel a greater driving experience on my van.

Is there any problems with getting it remapped with engine? Mines only done 23k, is there stuff to change more regularly, plugs, cambelts etc.
I always get a major service since 2019, and this year will be a cambelt after 4 years.

Thanks again chaps

Back