Worst Ever Camper Experience?

Ian28

T6 Guru
Mine was heading home on the A68 when struggling with a sudden bout of the winter vomiting & diarrhoea bug (norovirus). Hit me like a ton of bricks, no warning. Felt the barf coming on so I aimed it down my own front while driving to try and minimise getting it on my antique brown leather seats or comfort dash. I was on the switchback section with lorries behind & in front so stopping not an option. Cleared myself up in a lay-by then carried on. Half hour later both ends were about to explode, luckily I pulled over into a scenic viewpoint. I sat on my ‘bog in a bag’ whilst leaning over into my sink and let the virus do its thing. I remember thinking this is the worst moment of my life, but also…..thank God I drive a VW Campervan…..
Edit - maybe this should be in the Pub section, feel free to move

Mine was when I was a kid on holiday in my parents home built camper. They hadn’t thought to build me a bed in the camper, so I rigged a stretcher bed up across the seats in the cab. It had an aluminium frame and was held up with cord tied over the aluminium angle frame of the fixed bunk bed over the cab.
The first night we all went to our beds and turned out the lights. As I was trying to sleep I could hear a plink, plink, plink and the plinks were getting closer. What I didn’t realise was that they were strands of the cord snapping on the sharp edge of the aluminium angle. Next minute the cord at my head end of the bunk snapped and I fell head first into the foot well of the van!
My parents stuck their heads through into the cab and rolled around in fits of laughter! I couldn’t move as my hands and arms were in my sleeping bag and I was on a bunk, that was now at a 45 degree angle, with my head jammed down in the passenger foot well. Eventually my dad stopped laughing and came around the camper and opened the passenger door, I slid out into a heap on the ground.
For the rest of the trip I gave up on the bunk and slept on the kitchen floor with the dog. The only downside was that I woke up each morning with an Alsatian with me in my sleeping bag!

Ours was when we wild camped in a carpark just outside Monaco - across the bay - just inside France. We had cycled into Monaco during the day and had a good look around (you do not see many push bikes in Monaco - mainly Porches!). We got back to the van and popped up the roof no problem, had dinner, etc. Later in the evening a load of French yobs turned up on their scooters and started smashing bottles on the rocks and the glass was going all over the beach.

At this stage they did not even know we were in the van. The local police turned up to give them some 'friendly advice' so I thought it was a good time to get out and put the external screens on. The lads were very startled to see me and I am sure they must have thought it was us that had called the police! They and the police moved on and all was quite but we decided to move to a different carpark up the kill. That was a mistake! More yobs returned at 3 0'clock in the morning and started buzzing the carpark in their GTI mopeds. Needless to say we did not get much sleep that night. No harm to us or the van. The police were not bothered about us staying there but it was very unsettling.

Next time we visit Monaco we will find a French campsite and take the train in! :cool:

Back