Work van racking

BenR

Wood Butcher
VIP Member
T6 Pro
I’m interested in seeing what people have done for racking in their vans. I have a new van coming and want to do something with a slide out drawer (like the ovano one but more suited to a full time work van) and incorporate some other racking in also. I have the Bott smartvan racking in my current van which is a good system but doesn’t really suit my needs. Bott have a new system designed with tanos (Festool systainer) but I think I’d like to make something this time. Any ideas/pictures would be cool to get some ideas

Thanks Pete C. I have seen this thread but it seems more focused on vans in different work locations rather than specifically aimed at what people have done in terms of racking out their vans for work

You can get pre made "pigeon hole":racking on ebay and the like.

I got a rear passenger side set that come pre assembled.

Then made a separate ladder rack from 2inch timber.

I find racking is kinda subjective and work specific. Most peoples racking idea is individual.

As per @Pete C link, there are some great ideas over there.

Ill dig out some racking specific pics of mine, and post them here.

You can get pre made "pigeon hole":racking on ebay and the like.

I got a rear passenger side set that come pre assembled.

Then made a separate ladder rack from 2inch timber.

I find racking is kinda subjective and work specific. Most peoples racking idea is individual.

As per @Pete C link, there are some great ideas over there.

Ill dig out some racking specific pics of mine, and post them here.
Thanks Dellmassive, I have had a look through that thread and there are some good pics on there. I selfishly wanted to see what other tradesmen are doing with their vans so I can steal some ideas. I was thinking of something with a big pull out drawer in it to keep my chopsaw and Festool boxes and such on and then some other racking for sundries but trying to keep a flat area for sliding materials and units we have made on whilst still being able to access tools underneath.
I wondered if anyone had a setup like this or maybe has done something else cool making the most out of the available space

Gotcha...

I. must admit, most of the racking I have seen on here has been on that thread.

If we're talking about racking for comercial purposes and not camper conversion racking..

Let's see if we can start it here......

T6’s bigger brother but some ideas when I fitted mine out. Taken a few vans to get it right but really pleased this time round. (Most ideas copied from other people!)

Here

T6’s bigger brother but some ideas when I fitted mine out. Taken a few vans to get it right but really pleased this time round. (Most ideas copied from other people!)

Here
Nice.. Van looks mint. I had a look through your thread last week. Love the hexgrip, where did you source it from? I’d like to do the racking in that. I’ve seen it a few places but I’m not sure who’s best on price for it. What load rating are the runners that you used on the drawers? They look about 1200mm extension?

Hex ply was tricky to buy as all my usual panel suppliers wouldn’t supply in small quantities. Got it from an eBay seller in the end at a decent price.

Runners were from Furnica think they are 80kg from memory as yes 1200mm.

Can’t beat a well kitted out work van though, makes the working day so much better.

Can’t beat a well kitted out work van though, makes the working day so much better.
Definitely true, makes the day so much easier.

I will have a look on eBay, we have an account with penn Elcom who do the hex but they’re dear.

heres an option:

1609893379573.png

this is more like the ones i have . .

1609893457799.png

1609893497376.png

1609893532500.png

1609893561132.png

here are some random back of van shots . . .

1609893688073.png

1609893710369.png

1609893728242.png

1609893748945.png

1609893823971.png

I've recently removed my Bott racking and fitted some racking from Vankit, i was after more drawers, the Bott racking was mostly shelves and storage cases.

Just waiting for the threshold's to arrive, and then i need to look at some suitable lighting.

IMG_1622.jpegIMG_1621.jpegIMG_1619.jpegIMG_1620.jpeg

I've recently removed my Bott racking and fitted some racking from Vankit, i was after more drawers, the Bott racking was mostly shelves and storage cases.

Just waiting for the threshold's to arrive, and then i need to look at some suitable lighting.

View attachment 97911View attachment 97912View attachment 97913View attachment 97914
That looks like good stuff. How does it compare price wise to the Bott? I have Bott racking in my transit custom now, got the pull out drawers and stuff but they broke after 6 months. Bott do have a new system coming out designed for Festool systainers which has drawers in which I’m interested in. Might have a look at these guys too though.

That looks like good stuff. How does it compare price wise to the Bott? I have Bott racking in my transit custom now, got the pull out drawers and stuff but they broke after 6 months. Bott do have a new system coming out designed for Festool systainers which has drawers in which I’m interested in. Might have a look at these guys too though.

Similar in price to the Bott smart van range, The latching mechanism on the Vankit is all steel, which was a must, as every system i've had previously which had any plastic, all broke within a year.

The Vankit drawers have a high load capacity of over 60kg per drawer, and the under floor drawers are rated at 150kg per drawer, nothing i've had previously could even get close to this, only time will tell how they last, but so far they seem up to the job, more so than anything i've fitted before.

They've got a decent range of units, and with many of items being modular, you can change things to suit your requirements ie: i've got 4 x 105 drawer units which aren't shown on the website, but they fit in place of the 175/140/105 drawer set they have listed.

I dealt with a guy called James, he was really helpful and they'll also do a mock up digital drawing for you, here's what one of mine looked like.

040121 - CRM v1 copy.jpg

I’ll get on their website. I agree about the plastic, the bott drawers are garbage and all the little plastic things on the shelves have come off and got lost now leaving sharp edges. I like the lashing system on the bott though

Had a look at yours earlier. I’m a bit of a van racking nerd. Did you make the drawers? What rating are the runners?

Yes all custom built by us, the larger drawer is rated to 350kg at full extension (1500mm total drawer length is 1800mm) the smaller one is around 100kg if I remember correctly.

Cool. Can you remember where you got the runners? I had a google about and couldn’t find any at 350kg I’d like to put my big Festool chopsaw in a drawer (I’m sick of loading crap in the van and not being able to get to any tools!)

Back