Won’t start [Resolved]

And dont forget the full bsttery reset..

And check all the fuses.

Reactions: mmi
I have downloaded the files you requested. I'm now going to remove battery and check fuses/relays etc as there was this burning smell that I presumed was the egr pipe but would be good if it's a melted relay.
Thanks to
mmi and Dellmassive

Attachments

• blockmap-01-04L-906-056-KS_WV1ZZZ7HZHH041318-20210802-0950.CSV
    126.6 KB · Views: 12
Pulled all the fuses and relays next to and under battery, all look ok.

Years ago my 2.0tdi skoda superb wouldnt start. Called skoda assist and the AA man came out. Basically cranked it and cranked it and eventually it went. Ran rough for a bit and cleared itself. Never happened again. AA guy thought it was an air lock in the fuel line.

Very odd.

Do the glow plugs get energised when you turn the key ?

Test light on one of the injector plugs. It should flash on and off. If there's fuel pressure in the rail then the thing should run, regardless of the turbo, EGR etc.

Then try a bit (not too much in one hit!) of easy start into the intake when cranking. Failing that the belt's slipped or other major failure.

the data posted above shows the Engine ECU not commanding the injectors to open? - so no fuel is the issue.

not sure why though . . .

burning smell in engine bay.

im still thinking electrical iiues with fuse/relay/ecu.

Glow plugs only come on when its cold. . .

you can see from the bellow that the injectors can draw 23A@12v each . . . . so some fair current.

im thinking the injector feed via Engine ECU is the problem. - no power to injectors?

1627921315064.png

1627921426547.png1627921460786.png

I have downloaded the files you requested. I'm now going to remove battery and check fuses/relays etc as there was this burning smell that I presumed was the egr pipe but would be good if it's a melted relay.
Thanks to
mmi and Dellmassive
Thanks- indeed strange.
Have you scanned for the faults again after all the cranking? Directly under Engine - Fault Codes?
The last bits of data are under Engine - Advanced ID. Perhaps you could do that too?

Nothing obvious in the blockmap file - these two are interesting (and different to mine). Something "sporadic" was recorded starting 715 km's ago (444 miles ago).
Van Buddy​
mmi​
IDE03189-ENG118044Number of prevented stop processes (statistics)-sporadical_function_inhibition_kilometer
86597 km​
0​
IDE03583-MAS04416Engine shut-down overrides-Sporadic function prevention
On
OFF​

Then I'm not sure about this one - yours is 6.6 degrees. Mine has varied from -0.1 to 1.8 degrees (approx. 90 blockmaps recorded over three years). However, never checked if it changes during cranking.

IDE00182Camshaft adaptation intake bank 1: phase position
0.9​

EDIT (2021-10-27): the parameter seems to be a long term tracking value - no changes observed during cranking.

Last edited:
interesting one this. . . id like to see what the problem is.

time to call in a VW indy mechanic for a diagnostic? / second opinion.

the data posted above shows the Engine ECU not commanding the injectors to open? - so no fuel is the issue.
Agreed, no fuel into cylinders. Indeed the ECU doesn't even command the injectors to open.
In the data the fuel pressure (behaviour) is excatly what mine does. Also the fuel rail commands are identical to mine as well as the rest of the data.

im thinking the injector feed via Engine ECU is the problem. - no power to injectors?
But, where are fault codes? Not monitored?

What bothers me a bit is "Camshaft adaptation intake bank 1: phase position" = 6.6 degrees - it is significantly different than mine. Is it too far-fetched to have cam belt timing checked?

But again - why no fault codes? :thumbsdown:

Intense reading by me. Very interesting to have your expert opinions, that was by no means sarcastic.
The smell still bothers me but I think I’ll check the camshaft timing to eliminate/confirm.

If the belt has jumped a tooth . . . Maybe its been detected by cam and crank readings....

and the Engine ECU is not firing injectors specifically to stop engine firing up?

Maybe self preservation.

I wonder if ODIS would give a better result in regards to the non start?

Reactions: mmi
I remember an old skool mechanic saying to me that if you had a engine run issue . . . . That wasnt generating any fault codes.

Then it is most likley a mechanical issue.

Seems plausible as the ECU is not expecting mechanical issues.... ie cam/crank timing.

I wonder if ODIS would give a better result in regards to the non start?
ODIS can read the same data, but at much slower rate. VCDS HEX-V2 samples T6 ECU at 5 Hz rate (12 separate data channels) which allows to capture even engine startups quite satisfactorily. By reducing number of recorded channels the speed can go even up to 20 Hz.
However, ODIS has guided fault finding which is based on all the know-how of VAG - actual results may vary :laugh:

I remember an old skool mechanic saying to me that if you had a engine run issue . . . . That wasnt generating any fault codes.

Then it is most likley a mechanical issue.

Seems plausible as the ECU is not expecting mechanical issues.... ie cam/crank timing.

I watched the Diagnose Dan the other night where a VAG engine would only start from cold after a very long crank. Turned out to be the variable valve timing actuator losing oil and retarding the cam to a point where it wouldn't start. I was surprised at the time that it wouldn't at least splutter and fire. Afterwards I wondered if that was a safety feature that the thing wouldn't start at cranking revs with a so far retarded cam. There was no error codes on that either, and Dan found it (we diagnosed it together! :grin bounce:) by the number of pulses from the crank reluctor between TDC and the cam at first crank, and when it finally started...

Soz, I've given away the ending now..... :rolleyes: ....A bit like when I came out of Empire Strikes Back and said 'Who knew, Darth was Luke's dad..."

I watched the Diagnose Dan the other night where a VAG engine would only start from cold after a very long crank. Turned out to be the variable valve timing actuator losing oil and retarding the cam to a point where it wouldn't start. I was surprised at the time that it wouldn't at least splutter and fire. Afterwards I wondered if that was a safety feature that the thing wouldn't start at cranking revs with a so far retarded cam. There was no error codes on that either, and Dan found it (we diagnosed it together! :grin bounce:) by the number of pulses from the crank reluctor between TDC and the cam at first crank, and when it finally started...

Soz, I've given away the ending now..... :rolleyes: ....A bit like when I came out of Empire Strikes Back and said 'Who knew, Darth was Luke's dad..."
Yeh love DD . . . And seen that vid before.

If you like that stuff......

Check these out... also on YT.

Scanner danner.
Pine Hollow Automotive.
Eirc car guy.
South main auto.
Diagnose dan

Things to check... +12V feed to injectors, earths to ecu (ecu grounds out injectors to fire them, no earth, no fire)
Also try activating the lift pump via VCDS and see if you can hear it working.

Last edited:
Back