Woe Webasto

Vinci

Residential Surveyor
T6 Guru
I had my heater professionally installed when van was converted in 2017, used it 3 times in anger, and now T12 fault. Webasto engineers spent an hour looking for issue, no joy, and customer services say it is likely a yellow cable fault. Seriously not impressed with this make. Anyone know anyone competent to fix it in the Bath area ideally, please.

not sure if this helps?

Fault 12 (F12) – Heater Lock Out​

This fault will occur if your heater has a had a repeated fault, depending on the fault will depend on the number of repetitions that with instigate a fault lock out. In order to clear the fault you can do one of two things. With the heater on, remove the main fuse, switch the control panel off, re-insert fuse and switch heater on again, OR contact your local Webasto agent and they can unlock your heater with the PC diagnostics. You should always be able to unlock the heater without the need for an agent to attend. Remember the original fault that caused the lock-out will probably need correction prior to satisfactory operation of the heater.

F12 isn't T12! T12 is one of the hex codes.

T12
W-Bus communication failure
1) Check for fault in area of W-bus
communication/W-bus control
element/W-bus Telestart
2) Replace control unit

If the Webasto engineers cannot fix it or provide an alternative solution there is something wrong with your engineers.
Do you have the Thermotest customer print out? It should have been provided by the Webasto engineer. It will have all the logged faults on it.
Assuming 2000STC ( It helps to know what model heater you have )
T12 can often be just a dodgy connection on the Wbus wiring - correctly diagnosed above as the yellow wire. Check that the pin is securely in the ecu plug ( position 5 on a STC, position 12 on an Evo40/55 ) also remake the connection of the plug that is 30cm down the wire from the Multicontrol. ( assuming that this is what you have as a controller )
I have seen the error many times also due to failure of the ecu or controller. The simplest remedy is to use a rheostat instead of a Multicontrol as that doesn't use Wbus for communication.

I am concerned that you have only used the heater 3 times in 4 years though - have you not been doing your monthly maintenance by running the heater for a minimum of 20 minutes each month?

Good info to work with there .... :mexican wave:

T12
element/W-bus Telestart
2) Replace control unit

If the Webasto engineers cannot fix it or provide an alternative solution there is something wrong with your engineers.
Do you have the Thermotest customer print out? It should have been provided by the Webasto engineer. It will have all the logged faults on it.
T12 can often be just a dodgy connection on the Wbus wiring - correctly diagnosed above as the yellow wire. Check that the pin is securely in the ecu plug ( position 5 on a STC, position 12 on an Evo40/55 ) also remake the connection of the plug that is 30cm down the wire from the Multicontrol. ( assuming that this is what you have as a controller )
I have seen the error many times also due to failure of the ecu or controller. The simplest remedy is to use a rheostat instead of a Multicontrol as that doesn't use Wbus for communication.

I am concerned that you have only used the heater 3 times in 4 years though - have you not been doing your monthly maintenance by running the heater for a minimum of 20 minutes each month?
You are correct in that I had no idea about running it monthly…I do now!

T12
element/W-bus Telestart
2) Replace control unit

Thanks for this…they are Webasto agents (!), and no I didn’t get any print out. Yes it is a 2000STC.
I can only assume that they have the knowledge to do as you kindly suggest.
I have today suggested a new controller and wiring as being more cost effective than trying to locate a fault. We will see Monday.

It isn't that difficult to find a fault in the wiring as it is only one wire, they sound more like installers of Webastos rather than Webasto trained engineers. I am surprised that they didn't try to run it with a rheostat as part of the testing.

I didn’t either - do I need to do this on a camper which is basically mothballed for the next 5 months?
I honestly don’t know. Like a typical bloke, I only reach for the manual when I’m stuck! So, I’ll have to dig it out. Though, in winter months I do use the parking heater to pre-heat the van. That said, with pandemics etc, I haven’t had much cause to do that!!!

From the STC manual ( I say 20 minutes to allow the heater to get up to full operating heat ):

8.5 Servicing
NOTE
The heater should be operated for approx. 10 minutes every
4 weeks to prevent mechanical parts seizing.
The heater requires no maintenance. It should however be
checked at regular intervals, at the start of the heating period
at the latest (when the heater will be used more frequently
due to colder weather conditions) by Webasto-trained
technical personnel.

I haven't got a fitted one...

Just a mobile one (Chinese cloan), so can't comment on how often to run them.

But I was told to run it at full blast for 10mins every now and again. (Say every 10 uses)

To clear any carbon build up on the burner.....made sense i thought as most of the time the heater would be on low or 0-50%.

So a good blast every now and again should be good for them.

The number of installations that I have seen where the installer obviously hasn't read the manual is high - something simple like the siting of the silencer close to the heater is a prime example, I have seen them put at the outboard end of the exhaust pipe! Numerous people think that they can use 4mm/5mm ID fuel hose instead of the correct 2mm fuel lines for some reason also.
Whenever I have something new I read the manual to familiarize myself with the function and set up of the item, maybe I am not a typical man!

Last edited:
Reactions: CAB
The number of installations that I have seen where the installer obviously hasn't read the manual is high - something simple like the siting of the silencer close to the heater is a prime example, I have seen them put at the outboard end of the exhaust pipe! Numerous people think that they can use 4mm/5mm ID fuel hose instead of the correct 2mm fuel lines for some reason also.
Whenever I have something new I read the manual to familiarize myself with the function and set up of the item, maybe I am not a typical man!
Hi Oldie,
knowledge is certainly king!
Curious to what your thoughts are on fitting 2x silencers to suppress exhaust noise further?

Back