Wiring and drilling precaution!

fenk

Good afternoon all.

Fitting my 2019 T6 LWB out as a camper van. Need some help in this regard. I've taken all the rubber matting out and I am about to put down insulation and foundation for the build.
BUT! I don't want to drill through the wood into the floor of the van and hit any cables or electrics so my question is this.

Does anyone know exactly where all the cables run / are underneath the van? Is there a diagram on this from VW? I have been unable to find one and would love to see where i can and cannot drill.
Apologies if this has been asked before and thanks in advance for any help I get!

Cheers. ;)

Thanks Loz,

Is the red in that picture the only cables ill run into? (vehicle is factory)

Thanks!
for that section, yes, the rest run up and over the roof (on the other pages). the previous image also shows the tail lights for bumper-mounted lights the van has them down the rear pillar.
1635493960889.png

Last edited:
@fenk just out of curiousity, if you’ve taken everything out to insulate where is the wood that you are drilling through?

@fenk if you bond down your 9mm floor batons you wont need to drill into the floor your 12mm floor will then screw into the batons

Nick
Christ the man is a genius. I'm no tradesman by any means I've been in my van just staring at it trying to work out what to do for flooring Etc.

Seeing as there is genuinely so many of you forthcoming with ideas and help re the build.

I dont want to use any of that insulation that looks cancerous. The ones made from glass/plastics etc. But i can't seem to find cork insulation anywhere in aus. Or more natural stuff like denim/cotton /sheepwool etc.

If any of you have done a build like that what have you used for your insulation, and then did you put batons down / bond the Ply to the floor etc..

Any help is help!

Seeing as there is genuinely so many of you forthcoming with ideas and help re the build.

I dont want to use any of that insulation that looks cancerous. The ones made from glass/plastics etc. But i can't seem to find cork insulation anywhere in aus. Or more natural stuff like denim/cotton /sheepwool etc.

If any of you have done a build like that what have you used for your insulation, and then did you put batons down / bond the Ply to the floor etc..

Any help is help!
You can’t find sheep's wool in Australia?

You don’t want anything that holds in moisture, although I’m sure OZ doesn’t have the same issues that we have over here.

Just use something like Dodo Fleece and then you’re doing your bit for the environment too.

I’m guessing you’re wanting to insulate the van against the summer heat rather than a typical mild Oz winter.
Self adhesive closed cell foam with foil backing would probably be the most effective and will not absorb moisture.
Also zero dust.

I’m guessing you’re wanting to insulate the van against the summer heat rather than a typical mild Oz winter.
Self adhesive closed cell foam with foil backing would probably be the most effective and will not absorb moisture.
Also zero dust.
Thanks mate that's what I'm thinking. Went and had a look at some of the stuff compared to the earthwool garbage and much prefer. Where i'm travelling i'll basically only need to block heat and won't be bothered by the cold.

Thanks mate that's what I'm thinking. Went and had a look at some of the stuff compared to the earthwool garbage and much prefer. Where i'm travelling i'll basically only need to block heat and won't be bothered by the cold.
White or Reflex Silver van is best then

Back