Wiper lever - OK / Reset control button stuck

Crispyoakleaf

Hi all, I'm brand new to the forum and this is my first post. Any help appreciated. Recently purchased a T6 campervan. Relatively new (2017). Working my way through the owner's manual and what controls do what. The wiper lever controls the multifunction display (fuel consumption, travel time etc.) with the rocker button at the lever end and an OK / Reset button along the bottom of the lever. One can switch between Trip memory (1 displayed) and Total journey memory (2 displayed) for example. I think the button is stuck pushed in and doesn't seem to move or 'click' when pressed and cannot get it to do anything. I have tried poking it with pins to try and get it to pop out again with no success. Looks like the wiper lever should split apart somehow, but I'm a bit nervous about attacking it further.

Don't particularly want to take it to a VW dealer to get it fixed at huge expense if it is simple to DIY. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Crispyoakleaf

Never tried to dismantle one but the whole thing is replaceable with a bit of stripping of the plastics around the steering column etc the complete stalk assembly comes off

Thanks Pauly. Any more details on how to do it, and availability / cost etc. of stalk assembly?
I'm not an experienced mechanic but basic DIY - e.g. 2 or 3 'spanner' difficulty in old Haynes manual terms!

Replacing stalks is a job i recently done myself (i changed to a multinational steering wheel and whilst there was nothing wrong with the original one, i didn't like having buttons on the stalks there were not used anymore), Anyway, by chance i have my old one in front of me on my desk as i was planning to put in on ebay so i just had a good look at it for you. The button you mention should have a couple of mm of travel and a noticeable 'click' when fully depressed. it appears the top half of the lever is manufactured separately from the main stalk, there is no obvious fixings however to separate the 2 so it must either clip together or is somehow fused during manufacturer..i obviously don't want to try too hard to separate mine in case i damage it, its up to you if you want to try and strip apart your own in situe.

To remove the complete stalk assembly you will need to remove your steering wheel....not a massive job, but you will need to disconnect your battery to allow you to safely remove the airbag to gain access to the steering wheel bolt etc...

Be warned however there are a few types of the stalk assembly, the variables off the top of my head are:
cruise on the left stalk or no cruise,
multifunction buttons on the right stalk or no buttons
rear wash wipe on the right stalk or not.

Basically..have a good look at yours and make sure what ever one you buy is the same as what you currently have

hello I have problem with wiper lever switch for scrolling up the menu. Does anyone have electric scheme what signal is comeing out of the switch? Yesterday I opened the top plastic and see 5 contact going out of the lever.

here are the pictures of the pins going out to the end of the lever... On the left side (2 wires) i get 10.8V on one of the wire, but on the other one 0.7V. What voltage should I get at the output of these two wires?

20210223_214001.jpg

izrez.png

Back