Winter tyres ok on OEM alloys?

Are you planning on swapping summer / winter tyres on and off the same rims? May be better with all season tyres. The Bridgestone A005 get good reviews.

I used to run summer and winter tyres before I went to cross climate. Initially I would swap them twice a year (like for like tyre sizes in the original alloys) but ended up buying a 2nd hand set of identical alloys which paid for themselves after a few years.

There was a nice set of Devonports for sale for £250 without tyres recently. I was looking at the advert at the weekend!!

Simple answer is yes they will be fine on alloys.

What size wheels / tyres are you running at present?

I think steels are better for the winter as they are generally cheaper, more robust and save your nice alloys in the harshest part of the year.

If you are running 16s you’ll probably get a set of steels less tyres for < £40 if you look around. I’ll have one available in a week or so. If 17s then the T32s steels probably £120 ish.

Sounds like you’ll be storing your summer tyres somewhere so a set of rims in the middle shouldn’t be an issue.

Ian

Simple answer is yes they will be fine on alloys.

What size wheels / tyres are you running at present?

I think steels are better for the winter as they are generally cheaper, more robust and save your nice alloys in the harshest part of the year.

If you are running 16s you’ll probably get a set of steels less tyres for < £40 if you look around. I’ll have one available in a week or so. If 17s then the T32s steels probably £120 ish.

Sounds like you’ll be storing your summer tyres somewhere so a set of rims in the middle shouldn’t be an issue.

Ian
I've got a t32. From memory the tyres are ??/60 17. I've got a garage for storage. Given that I live in Scotland it's probably cheaper for me to buy new rather than pay for delivery.

Perhaps have a chat with @Radford1071s

You will definitely need the T32 17” steels. I’ve just picked 4 from 2 different sellers for £130 incl a set of chrome centre hub caps (worth 40) so rims effectively cost me £90.

Post a wanted advert and keep looking on ebay / gumtree. Some people want silly money for them but just be patient!

I have set of Davenport alloys for sale with no tyres on - I could package them up with a set of tyres and post

I have set of Davenport alloys for sale with no tyres on - I could package them up with a set of tyres and post
Hi Oli,
How much would you want for the Devonports, complete with a set of winter tyres posted to East Yorkshire? (As they'll only be on for a matter of weeks, all I'm looking for is something to perform better than the Conti's on my current Devonports on my T30 lwb camper)
Cheers

Daz

@Dazza W

these are in Chesterfield...

Hi Oli,
How much would you want for the Devonports, complete with a set of winter tyres posted to East Yorkshire? (As they'll only be on for a matter of weeks, all I'm looking for is something to perform better than the Conti's on my current Devonports on my T30 lwb camper)
Cheers

Daz

Any preference for tyres and size?

Having a second set of wheels will work out cheaper in the long term, or could even mean that they cost you no money at all. Say it costs you £40 to swap the tyres over in the autumn and spring, that's £80 per year. You ought to get 3 winters out of a set of dedicated winter tyres, so that's £240. You could buy a set of wheels for that sort of money, then when you change the van, sell the wheels and get most of your money back.

Quick question...I have a set of falken Euro winter tyres hardly used from a previous motorhome. The tyres are 215/70R 15C and I have a set of unused snowchains to fit these. Would I be better/ cheaper getting a set of 15" wheels for these. Rather than buying a whole set suitable for 17" or would they be inappropriate for the vehicle? ?

Quick question...I have a set of falken Euro winter tyres hardly used from a previous motorhome. The tyres are 215/70R 15C and I have a set of unused snowchains to fit these. Would I be better/ cheaper getting a set of 15" wheels for these. Rather than buying a whole set suitable for 17" or would they be inappropriate for the vehicle? ?

Probably too small, 16in minimum for brake clearance I think if T26/28/30 and 17in if T32 with the larger brakes but not a given.

Back