Winter Tyres all year.

cy294

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Is that time again when I've got to change tyres. Currently got All Season tyres on, but wondered if anyone is running winter tyres or has run winter all year round?

I haven't got the time or space for two sets of different tyres i.e. summer and winter. So initially went all season, but tyre wear has been poor. I have contemplated going back to summer and to be fair @Dellmassive gave some good feedback on the tyres he has been running.

Thanks all and stay safe.

I've had winter tyres (goodyear winter sport) on my car (RWD 220bhp 1700kg) for the last 2 years, only do 3-4000 miles per year in it so not enough use to justify 2 sets. Seems fine to me grip and wear wise even on the hottest days, certainly no worse than the budget summer tyres I had on before.

I ran a set of Nokian WR-A4's on my skoda (225/40/18) over last summer, plus 3 winters before that. Did about 35k miles on total and still would have had some life left if the alignment hadn't destroyed the inner edges. Was seriously impressed in both their performance (no issues with grip or braking) and longevity

Thanks for the replies so far, please keep them coming as I'm trying to get as much info as possible.

Thanks all

That's what I've got on mine at present, goodyear vector 4 seasons only been on a couple of months, very happy with them up to now but obviously too soon to comment on wear.

Would be well worth getting an alignment as this could be contributing to the poor wear?

That's what I've got on mine at present, goodyear vector 4 seasons only been on a couple of months, very happy with them up to now but obviously too soon to comment on wear.
I'd love to have them, but got to watch the £'s at mo. They are very good tyres.

I found my vectors got very soft in the heat. Lots of squealing on roundabouts and braking wasn't great. Have since had suspension sorted which has improved things but will still be putting my falkens back on soon. The falkens were a huge improvement last summer on my previous suspension setup.

I have been running Nokian WR-A4 winter tyres all year round on my T32 and found t hem OK. However I do live in highland Scotland so it doesn’t get massively hot that much and we get a fair amount of rain. Also I only do about 7-8k miles per year. If I did higher mileage and/or lived further south there is no way I would run winters all year

Due to lock down/budget, whatever, I left my GT Radial winter tyres on the van last year though until about August, but I wouldn't do it again. They started to wear out very quickly and unevenly as temps increased, and on some days, felt very unnerving on the M-way. I've done it before on cars that were smaller/lighter and used rarely, and never felt an issue, but I think the extra mass of the van is too much for the soft rubber. I swapped them for Vredstien all weathers, and I can't complain.

Thank you for all the replies. Will be going back to summer tyres tomorrow and having Debica (made by Goodyear I think) Presto tyres fitted. Also having 4 wheel alignment. Thanks again for all the replies.

Stay safe:thumbsup:

Update: had the Debicas fitted this morning and also 4 wheel alignment. Luckily for me, the van didn't need any adjustment.

It was put on the ramp, the equipment put on the wheels, reg put in the computer to get the factory specs.

The van was the rocked backwards and forwards to get more readings and the readings came up as all in range and tolerances.

This was a surprise as I was expecting something to need adjusting. The van has been lowered on Stance + approx 40mm and I run 235/55/17 with 45 psi. So didn't even have to input that the van was empty or no load as other posts have recommended.

We use Michelin x climates suv rated 235/55/18 there on special just now , got a great deal at camskill tyres. Also there’s a new x climate 2 version aswell.

Back