Winter wheel and tyre package

Nande2000

IT Fixer
T6 Pro
Hi,
I've just ordered a new T30 Highline (r16). I've spec'ed AS tyres but as we're moving away from 4wd I was going to buy a set of steel wheels and winters. Lots of roads round us that aren't gritted in winter and there is a treacherous hill to my kids school that every year the council refuse to grit.
Anyway dealer has quoted £185+vat per wheel+tyre.
Any advice on where I can get cheaper ?

I'd try the internet. :rofl:
I assume you mean the dealer wants £185 +VAT for each wheel, the tyres would be extra.
Steel wheels can be bought for as little as £90 per corner, just an example;
(other retailers are available, but make sure the wheel is correctly load rated!)
For tyres I'd try Tyre Leader, Black Circles or similar online tyre retailers.
Tyre prices obviously depend on brand but a decent winter tyre could be less than £130 a corner. Obviously make sure you buy the correctly load rated tyre.
Get them delivered to you and get a local garage to mount the tyres on the wheels, a garage near me charged me £8 per tyre fitted and balanced.
In the circumstances you describe I'm not sure why you're moving away from 4Motion, but that's your decision.
Let us know how you get on. :thumbsup:

No 185+vat all in, seems reasonable to me

Winter tyres are much much better than 4wd with as tyres in snow, especially going downhill where 4wd is irrelevant.
I have a rwd BMW that has Avon winters on it that is better in the snow than my Touareg that has AS tyres on.

No 185+vat all in, seems reasonable to me

Winter tyres are much much better than 4wd with as tyres in snow, especially going downhill where 4wd is irrelevant.
I have a rwd BMW that has Avon winters on it that is better in the snow than my Touareg that has AS tyres on.

I agree, tyres far more important than 2wd v 4wd.

Bloody hell, £185 +VAT for wheels and tyres? Bite his hand off, that's a very reasonable price. I read your original post as £185 plus VAT plus the cost of tyres.
I've never understood the Winter tyres Vs 4Motion debate, you can put winter tyres on a 4Motion!! Best of both worlds!

I've bought winter tyres / wheel sets through www.123pneu.fr. Basically it's a German company trading in France where I live. They also have a UK company and you can run through the configurator for your van, select the rims and tyres you want, A Set of Wheel and Tyre Packages: Steel wheels with winter tyres - mytyres.co.uk . As they are German they only sell the rims that are TUV certified for use with your model of van. They have a huge choice of tyres for all budgets.

Yeah winters on a 4wd is Nirvana, really though I could not believe how good the BMW was after putting winters on. Where 4wd really excels is in mud; good for Festivals if you get stuck in a field, but we rarely do these days.

Whilst tracking down a good set of Alloys with M+S tyres I came across the following ebay advert for a set of 16" Steel wheels with new Cooper winter tyres.

Seller is Wessex Vans in Poole (Dorset). At £240, hopefully useful for someone.

Screenshot_20210821-114958_Firefox.jpg

There are winter tyres and there are winter tyres..

Carefully check the brand as chin hoo brand etc etc will be totally crap

There are winter tyres and there are winter tyres..

Carefully check the brand as chin hoo brand etc etc will be totally crap
Too true. I fitted a set of Sunny winter tyres many years ago, and they were amazing in snow, but total ditch finders in any other situation.

Back