Wing-mirror smashed off

Liam Beagent

Dear All

Our driver side wing mirror was completely destroyed after being clipped by the trailer of a lorry. To avoid the mirror shell further damaging the door paintwork I cut the two units (too big to push through) off and tucked the wiring away.
The mirror is currently being repaired and I have found out that one of the units is for the radio signal. I have no idea what the other unit is for nor does the repair garage? Any ideas?
I have circled it in the photo below which I have taken from this forum.
Hope you can help.

Many thanks,

Liam

120CA3C4-C2CA-442D-BEDC-91A699BE7AFE.jpeg

Inside the mirrors you have fm (both sides) am/gps/dab/gsm antennas
GPS and gsm will only be present if factory species equipment was installed

Snapped another wing mirror on my T6, have tried the replacement sleeve but looks like pot metal and snapped just too easily so the question is, is the T5.1 electric mirror (not power folding) the same as the T6, have seen one on Flea bay at the right price

Eurocarparts have them for £98 with the discount code and they do the folding ones as well

Hi guys

T6 2017 Trendline

my drivers side wing mirror has been smashed off. Bracket snapped and casing all broken.
A have got a Quote for a new one fitted by VW.

Can I get a new wing aftermarket? And if so any ideas where I can get one.

I have seen some on eBay??

thanks

Dazzat53
I am sorry to hear about another wing mirror being bashed, especially as they are so ridiculously expensive! Perhaps some enterprising company might make something but I have not heard about it. I certainly hope that somewhere someone will make them and vastly undercuts VW.

There are posts on here covering mirrors.

The mirror itself is ok and the white back piece too.
Can you post a pic? Will help to point you to the right thread.

I replaced mine with a complete unit from Poland via ebay, and it was a straight swap, although I had to learn to do it. It as £159.82 + £22.55 p+p. Mine's a trendline too, so can point you at the right type (7-pin + 3 antenae)

Did the swivel “post” get smashed too? (apologies to the real engineers on here at my ignorance!) It a metal part, looks like it is made of a horrible alloy, that the mirror rotates up on

Can you post a pic? Will help to point you to the right thread.

I replaced mine with a complete unit from Poland via ebay, and it was a straight swap, although I had to learn to do it. It as £159.82 + £22.55 p+p. Mine's a trendline too, so can point you at the right type (7-pin + 3 antenae)
Thanks bro, I will post tomorrow as I am away with work.

Hi Guys
Drivers side wing mirror got smashed off today. Luckily the structure seems OK and the electric folding aspect is working with no problems. Is it best to take it to VW to get the cover and glass fitted as its starlight blue colour coded. The colour cover is alsmot completely intact apart from one small broken clip so i presume it will need to be replaced.

Pics attached.

Any tips or advice appreciated. Its not something i would do myself sadly.

Van is due in for MOT and service in a couple of weeks so may be easier to get it done then

17 reg T6 Kombi 204 Highline

mirror 5.jpg

mirror 4.jpg

mirror 2.jpg

mirror 1.jpg

mirror.jpg

There's two clips broken on the top cover (you've circled both), but even so it will be fine for quite a while with the number of other clips holding it on. I would spend the money on something else :)

Glass is a tenner off eBay, and no tools required to fit. There's a guide in the VIP section but you just need to unscrew the two torx screws, refit the lower trim with those screws, then drop the upper trim on. Then the glass can go on when you get it.

Edit: However, the screws are still there in your picture, is the lower cover broken where the screws go in?

Edit: yes, your lower trim is broken, so you need that anyway.

Thanks so much for your help. I’ll have a go at doing this myself as it’s due cambelt change soon and I don’t need the extra expense. The mirror is heated type.
Do you know where I can get the black plastic lower trim as well as the glass?

superb, thanks guys, saved me a bunch. have ordered teh mirror glass and lower plastic trim £19 incl vat and next day delivery!!

Back