Windsurfing and camping build thread.

First job done - new wheels!
These are Black Rhino Arsenals in 17” with BFG ATs
Really like the look of these - probably won’t lift it, definitely not getting lowered.
Next thing is probably windows. Wondering whether to get sliders and worry about leaks or do without and worry about ventilation. Decisions decisions...

View attachment 84664

View attachment 84665

The wheels look great! can you tell me more about them? What size tires? Wheel width? Any spacers etc? Any rubbing etc?

The wheels look great! can you tell me more about them? What size tires? Wheel width? Any spacers etc? Any rubbing etc?

Hi there
I can tell you what’s on the tyres )245/65/R17) but the exact wheel width I don’t know. They don’t need spacers and there is no rubbing. Louder than road tyres but not too bad. Very pleased with them overall!

Quick update on the van which has been getting a little more time recently:
Aluminium extrusion windsurfing gear storage is 80% complete, just the foamex panels to install, straps to secure the board in the space between the frame and the bench seat and occasional use upper second board rack to add. Before I finish it off I need to take it all out and rebuild it adding loctite to every bolt which will be a bit of a job.
On the electrics front my friend Chris helped me install the consumer unit, Redarc 50amp DCDC, a Victron 12/30 mains charger and the 12v fuse board. We also wired in the electric roof, diesel heater, lights etc that Kernow Conversions had left temporarily wired to the vehicle battery. All this is under the seats. Left to install is the inverter and all the 12v/240v/USB sockets. Need to work out a nice solution for fitting sockets to the covers that go over the rear of the seat bases.
I’m not sure if the Redarc unit actually needs the ignition/engine on signal (blue wire) or can sense voltage and turn itself on without. It seems to be working OK at the moment but I guess this might improve charging. I am also not sure if my battery can take the higher power charging profiles so have left it on setting A for now. It’s a 230AH Bosch L5 080 - in hindsight I might have been better off from a packaging perspective with two smaller batteries but you live and learn.
I have some space left under the passenger seat and was thinking to put the 1200w inverter there but the cable run to the battery is a bit too long for my liking so it’s head scratching time for securing it in the unused space between the rear wheel arch and the battery on the drivers side. Can’t see a way to make it visible from outside the frame so hopefully these inverters are set and forget.
I really like your use of aluminium extrusion for the furniture and fittings. I'm an engineer not a cabinet maker so I want to use it in in my van fit out. Whose extrusion and fittings did you use?

I really like your use of aluminium extrusion for the furniture and fittings. I'm an engineer not a cabinet maker so I want to use it in in my van fit out. Whose extrusion and fittings did you use?
Thanks! I went with KJN for most of it with some bits from RSComponents. I suppose the benefits are you can make it completely customised to your requirements - for me the most important thing was it being completely waterproof. The downside is cost and design/build time. If I had to do it again I would still use 2020 but would maybe spend more time working out the frame layout in relation to rivnut fixing points. There are a couple of effective but not very good looking fixings in my build - thankfully hidden behind the panels! Would recommend mocking up your furniture with ply first as that step made me change a good number of the dimensions after I saw what it looked like in the van. And don’t do it without a mitre saw and pillar drill!

I looked at KJN and their profiles and was considering their 30x30 with a 6mm slot section for the structure for a toilet/washroom room and wardrobe/cupboards. How did you find the 20x20 with the 5mm slot, was it rigid enough in your application.
Did you use M5 or M6 rivenuts?
How did you secure your panels to the aluminium? did you cut them to fit the slots in the section? or did you glue onto or screw through the aluminium section?
I appreciate the recommendations re mockup and tools, I was considering whether I would need a mitre saw, now I know I will, there goes the budget:). Thanks for your help.

I looked at KJN and their profiles and was considering their 30x30 with a 6mm slot section for the structure for a toilet/washroom room and wardrobe/cupboards. How did you find the 20x20 with the 5mm slot, was it rigid enough in your application.
Did you use M5 or M6 rivenuts?
How did you secure your panels to the aluminium? did you cut them to fit the slots in the section? or did you glue onto or screw through the aluminium section?
I appreciate the recommendations re mockup and tools, I was considering whether I would need a mitre saw, now I know I will, there goes the budget:). Thanks for your help.
20x20 was good enough for the gear storage. I used 30x30 for the bed extension frame and that felt well over engineered for the weight. Big difference between the two. I guess I would say if you are securing something heavy like a loo, fridge or water tank or you are using heavy panels I would go 30x30.
I used M6 rivnuts for the wall and rail fixings for the floor.
I used slot in panel clips as I wanted the panels to sit flush with the outer edge of the frame. Quite an expensive way to do it as they are 70p each and each panel needs at least 4-6 clips. You basically slot the clip into the groove and twist 90 degrees to lock it in place.
With the mitre saw do wear eye protection on every cut and be particularly careful if you are just trimming a small length off. Had a couple of times where the end piece pinged off past me at speed. Oh, and if you weren’t planning to already, use flux or some kind of lube while drilling the aluminium. Makes a world of difference. Good luck!

So just back from another trip to Cornwall. This time with two windsurfing boards on the roof and two inside. The wind didn’t blow the whole time so went kayaking one day with the whole family - one double kayak on the roof, three singles and a surf ski plus paddles and wetsuits all fitted inside nicely with the rear seat flat (and covered).
It was low tide for launching from the local harbour so I got to try out using the diff lock to help with traction on the slippery rocks of the harbour bottom when offloading. Worked a treat! Got a couple of funny looks reversing down the slipway.
Is there anything these vans can’t do?

082152B7-1495-4871-93AD-529790287609.jpeg

They are a bit dear but I wanted to have semi-permanent but washable waterproof covers in a nice design and these had good reviews. I picked them up from Denise who makes them in Poole and she was lovely. The family are happy with them from a comfort perspective and they chose the design and colours so I’m not expecting to have to change them for a long time. Thumbs up from me.
Loving this build but I read back the thread and still can't spot where you got the seat covers from for your Cali bed, have you got a link?

So just back from another trip to Cornwall. This time with two windsurfing boards on the roof and two inside. The wind didn’t blow the whole time so went kayaking one day with the whole family - one double kayak on the roof, three singles and a surf ski plus paddles and wetsuits all fitted inside nicely with the rear seat flat (and covered).
It was low tide for launching from the local harbour so I got to try out using the diff lock to help with traction on the slippery rocks of the harbour bottom when offloading. Worked a treat! Got a couple of funny looks reversing down the slipway.
Is there anything these vans can’t do?

View attachment 125664
That is brilliant, every square inch utilised to perfection, a well planed and executed build Drew

Loving this build but I read back the thread and still can't spot where you got the seat covers from for your Cali bed, have you got a link?
Hi Andy
I got them from Jackyards - VW Van Seat Covers | Jackyards UK | California SE, Beach, Ocean, Caravelle, T6, T5 and T4
A few months on from fitting and they still look great even though I haven’t washed them yet. Had a couple of spills and just wiped over with a clean damp microfibre cloth, good as new again. comfortable for long journeys too. As I said, not the cheapest option but worth it in my opinion. Hope this helps!
Drew

Hi Andy
I got them from Jackyards - VW Van Seat Covers | Jackyards UK | California SE, Beach, Ocean, Caravelle, T6, T5 and T4
A few months on from fitting and they still look great even though I haven’t washed them yet. Had a couple of spills and just wiped over with a clean damp microfibre cloth, good as new again. comfortable for long journeys too. As I said, not the cheapest option but worth it in my opinion. Hope this helps!
Drew
They are special...specially expensive, I love the idea of putting names on seats :p made for jumping in whilst still in a wetsuit or damp at least, I guess

Hi
Did you manage to find out details of the nudge bar on your van please?
Thanks
Hi there, sorry I did not but I actually took it off as I’m going for a different look. If you are in the market for one please PM me an offer. I’m based in Slough and can drop it within reason for petrol money.

Back