Windscreen heater blower always hot?

gmaster

T6 Pro
As per the title really.....except that I can get it to go cool, but it has to be turned right down (to the left). Now I could be being thick, as I suppose the whole point of the windscreen setting is for it to clear the windscreen, so maybe it should stay hot?

How are you guys finding yours?

Mines exactly the same, it seems anywhere but the coldest setting is warm, it's completely the opposite to everything else i've driven before. I put it down to the engine running hotter than most other vehicles i've had, that excess heat is drawn in to the cabin.

For comparison, my VW Caddy when would spend most of it's time around 98-100 degrees only reaching 103-105 if you was really shifting for a long period of time, the T6 seems to be around 104 degrees most of the time, as i've not "been really shifting" in the van i've not seen what it would reach in those circumstances. I presume the extra temp is due to the emissions related equipment the new euro 6 engines have.

Move the selector away from windscreen, when in windscreen it seems to override the heat setting thinking you are wanting to clear the glass
Leaving on windscreen also causes the AC to sometimes run in the background (without the ac light) which in turn impedes start stop

Thanks for the replies! At least I know it's not a fault. I did also wonder if it had anything to do with the auxiliary water heater?

Either way, now I now that above info' I fell much better......Thanks!

Raised the same question in a thread somewhere a while ago. It is a design feature to fast clear the windscreen. As Pauly says, as soon as you turn the direction control away from the windscreen towards the feet or front facing blowers, the temperature drops instantly to that which you would more expect.

I leave mine at 11 oclock most of the time so did blows on screen but doesnt override AC to be on

As per the title really.....except that I can get it to go cool, but it has to be turned right down (to the left). Now I could be being thick, as I suppose the whole point of the windscreen setting is for it to clear the windscreen, so maybe it should stay hot?

How are you guys finding yours?
I had mine in at the dealers with this very same problem last month. About five or six clicks from min it turns to max temp when on windscreen only but any of the other settings you get full control. Dealer has sent off to VW HQ and apparently they are aware of it and are working on the fault which they believe is a software problem affecting the Highline models only as again, apparently, the control unit on the Highline is different to the other models.
Maybe somebody who hasn't got a Highline can confirm if they get full heat control when on windscreen only.

I had mine in at the dealers with this very same problem last month. About five or six clicks from min it turns to max temp when on windscreen only but any of the other settings you get full control. Dealer has sent off to VW HQ and apparently they are aware of it and are working on the fault which they believe is a software problem affecting the Highline models only as again, apparently, the control unit on the Highline is different to the other models.
Maybe somebody who hasn't got a Highline can confirm if they get full heat control when on windscreen only.
Hi
Have you had any update from VW on this problem?
Cheers

Mine's the same. I can't understand why the ac comes on when selecting windscreen.........especially seeing as the ac light doesn't always come on to tell you! VW technician gave me a bit of old Blarney about that......it strikes me as being very odd!

Hi
Cheers
Last update i had was just before Christmas which i mentioned in my last post on this thread. Ill be calling them Monday as I have had another Engine Management fault yesterday (second month in a row) so will ask them whats happening with the heater blower fault. Ill keep you posted.

Hi
Cheers
Hi @VWGeorge Just rung Swansea VW for an update. They say they are still awaiting news from VW HQ and still believe it's a software issue affecting Highline vans. Pretty poor really as it's been over two months now, you would of thought they would of sorted it by now as Swansea alone have a load of job cards open on this fault alone. So there must be hundreds if not thousands of vehicles affected.

It has been quiet around this thread. Early spring did some experiments and found the same – when selected windscreen only I got only hot air even when AC on. Outside temperature was around +10C and cabin temp setting the usual +20C

But as we up here now finally got temperatures above +20C and so a reason to run AC noticed that now I do get cold air also when select windscreen only - even up to the point getting mist outside windscreen. Actually I have found this “clock 12” position quite comfortable because this way the cold air flow gets mixed slowly with cabin air without cold blow to my face or feet. On the other hand in cold times I keep it at 9 o’clock to keep my feet warm.

Owner’s manual is quite vague about functionality but could be interpreted that at cool temperatures (cabin temp being less than what you request for) the van goes into “defrost/demist” mode which could explain only hot air to the windscreen. And running AC same time definitely dries incoming air so even more effectively defrosting/demisting windscreen.

At the moment I think this is really intended way to work but I have to admit that it is confusing although a kind of logical. Anyways need to recheck when back to cool temperatures.

It has been quiet around this thread. Early spring did some experiments and found the same – when selected windscreen only I got only hot air even when AC on. Outside temperature was around +10C and cabin temp setting the usual +20C

But as we up here now finally got temperatures above +20C and so a reason to run AC noticed that now I do get cold air also when select windscreen only - even up to the point getting mist outside windscreen. Actually I have found this “clock 12” position quite comfortable because this way the cold air flow gets mixed slowly with cabin air without cold blow to my face or feet. On the other hand in cold times I keep it at 9 o’clock to keep my feet warm.

Owner’s manual is quite vague about functionality but could be interpreted that at cool temperatures (cabin temp being less than what you request for) the van goes into “defrost/demist” mode which could explain only hot air to the windscreen. And running AC same time definitely dries incoming air so even more effectively defrosting/demisting windscreen.

At the moment I think this is really intended way to work but I have to admit that it is confusing although a kind of logical. Anyways need to recheck when back to cool temperatures.
I have given up chasing them as these vans never cease to amaze me. Why cant you have a controllable temp when you want the air to go to windscreen only and not for it to be either cold or baking hot?
In the winter I found it way to hot and would feel sleepy when the dial was anymore than about the 9 o'clock position and was constantly adjusting the temp as at times you just don't want hot or cold air going to your feet.
I have never had a car including VW cars that you had no control over the windscreen temp blower position.

I have found this to when set to windscreen blows hot everywhere except when dial is turned to coldest setting them it does blow cold but turn the dial a bit and goes straight back to warm never considered it was affected by outside air temp

Amazing what posts are on here - my highline is doing exactlythe same thing (surprise) - but when I took it into the dealer it stopped! Of course it's doing it again now - I've either got hot air drying my eyeballs out or cold air freezing my knees! This didn't happen with my T5! I'd be really interested to hear if any dealer has solved this issue.....

And mine.

Its so shit, i only use windscreen as the forward facing fans just piss my face off and the foot one is not worth putting on.

I would have thought that the AC coming on when you select screen is to aid demisting as it does make it much quicker. I haven’t noticed any issue with mine, though I don’t know if mine is highline or not, plus I keep my AC on all the time whatever time of year it is.

And mine.

Its so not good, i only use windscreen as the forward facing fans just piss my face off and the foot one is not worth putting on.
Same here. We were sure the air was coming from the aircon on even without the light on, guess we’re not alone And not going nuts!!

Back