Windows All Round Or Not?? Dummy or not??

I have a kombi t6 with oe side windows was looking a fitting fake rear quarter windows so the question is , is it a better look to paint the quarter black then put over a normal tinted glass window over the top or go for a completely blacked out one?
Mainly which looks more like an original window any picture would be greatly appreciated
Thks in advance

There are a few discussions on this subject already.
Search for rear quarter windows top right of the page.
Or see the similar threads box below
Thread merge

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought our T6 looked great without the dummy rears, but after some consideration I had them fitted and I think they look fantastic. I didn't want the windows to let the light in, as I carry a couple of expensive e-bikes I don't want to be on display. What you cant see, wont make you want them right!!…..

Before the rear dummy windows were fitted the side of the van was professionally sprayed black behind the window and then the adhesive added around the window and then a gap was left for ventilation to stop the window misting which could in turn cause green algae behind making it a waste of time and money!

Below are a couple of pictures before and after

View attachment 34099 View attachment 34100
Saxoboy where did you get your dummy windows fitted? I darent do it myself.

My personal opinion is that windows look better fitted all round BUT I think if I was doing another van from scratch, I would probably fit a dummy window on the passenger side rear rather than having a cut out - obviously, being a' full camper', the one on the other side is also a dummy as it's behind the furniture!

My personal opinion is that windows look better fitted all round BUT I think if I was doing another van from scratch, I would probably fit a dummy window on the passenger side rear rather than having a cut out - obviously, being a' full camper', the one on the other side is also a dummy as it's behind the furniture!
We went through this thought process when we had our conversion done. The converters preferred option was no cut out & a dummy window on the passenger side rear. We decided to go with a proper window & we’re glad we did. It’s much easier to pull the curtain back & take a peek out to check on noises in the night/weather/awning etc.

@saxoboy you’ve taught me something new there and thanks for the recommendation I’ll have a look at the link! Much appreciated buddy

Hi guys
I’ve got barn door windows from camper glass , I’ve decided against cutting out the windows , can I just put black vinyl on the doors and stick this glass directly on ?
Van is indium grey

Last edited:
Hi guys
I’ve got barn door windows from camper glass , I’ve decided against cutting out the windows , can I just put black vynil on the doors and stick this glass directly on ?
Van is indium grey
Not sure I’d stick ‘window’ type glass as a fake window as opposed to a proper black false window?

If you are sticking on a falsy - leave a gap in the PU adhesive at the bottom else you create a sealed bubble where the air expands in the sun!

Thanks for the reply , I must of got my wires crossed , I thought some people were using them as dummy windows to colour match the existing windows
Much appreciated

I didn’t fit them, my converter did the work, but I believe they are standard rear glasses as fitted to a shuttle with limo tints fitted afterwards, but before fitting.

78F91AA6-0C9C-4F50-A226-7345E9605041.jpeg

Exactly what I did, used 3M 1080 matt vinyl on the orange panels, then stuck the windows to the vinyl.
Don't forget to leave a gap in the bottom adhesive line to allow the space behind the glass to breathe and avoid issues with condensation or water retention in case of a leak.

before.jpg during.jpgafter.jpg

Hi guys
I’ve got barn door windows from camper glass , I’ve decided against cutting out the windows , can I just put black vinyl on the doors and stick this glass directly on ?
Van is indium grey
You can buy blacked out windows from camper glass, I'd send them back and swap them for those...

Back