Windows All Round Or Not?? Dummy or not??

The windows glass is tinted like normal but the rear of the glass is fully silk screened, you can't see through it at all but it still looks tinted from the outside :thumbsup:
Thanks. Silk screened? What’s that?

It’s a fair bit of additional weight to drag around but they won’t leak.

I'm not sure if the place that fitted my windows would do a completely black glass though. Suppose I will have to ask. If not I guess getting a black wrap where the window goes then stick windows on.

I'm not sure if the place that fitted my windows would do a completely black glass though. Suppose I will have to ask. If not I guess getting a black wrap where the window goes then stick windows on.
Just get the camper glass ones John? 60 quid a pop, can't complain for that :thumbsup:

Hello.
I'm about to get my van kitted out as a camper, including kitchen units down the drivers side of the van. The shop doing the conversion noted that the rear driver side panel would be a dummy window. Passenger side panel will be cut.

Is it normal to not cut out the rear driver side panel? I understand that the wardrobe unit will sit behind the panel, but i just assumed the panel would be removed anyway.

Hello.
I'm about to get my van kitted out as a camper, including kitchen units down the drivers side of the van. The shop doing the conversion noted that the rear driver side panel would be a dummy window. Passenger side panel will be cut.

Is it normal to not cut out the rear driver side panel? I understand that the wardrobe unit will sit behind the panel, but i just assumed the panel would be removed anyway.

As far as I'm aware and have seen, it's far more common to have dummy rear quarters fitted over actual windows.

Hello.

But if the panel is removed there is then the issue of making the rear of any furniture as presentable as the front, as it will be on show. I think it's better to leave the panel in place, as most conversion companies do.

Reactions: DXX
It’s up to you, Doing the conversion from a panel van you have the option to either be able to see the back of the cupboard from outside or not (either by leaving the glass transparent or tinting it so you can’t see through it, or leaving the panel in place so you can’t see through it).
The only extra things you need to worry about is do you put glass over the blank panel or not, and if you do, do you tint the glass or use an opaque glass so you can’t see the panel, or cover the panel so you can’t see the paint colour.

It’s up to you, Doing the conversion from a panel van you have the option to either be able to see the back of the cupboard from outside or not (either by leaving the glass transparent or tinting it so you can’t see through it, or leaving the panel in place so you can’t see through it).
The only extra things you need to worry about is do you put glass over the blank panel or not, and if you do, do you tint the glass or use an opaque glass so you can’t see the panel, or cover the panel so you can’t see the paint colour.

Thanks to all.
OK, makes sense. The van is a dark'ish colour anyway, so I doubt you will see the pannel through the glass.

I would, at a minimum, put some matt black vinyl on the panel before sticking the glass onto the vinyl, that way if you do decide you want it cutting out, you can remove the glass by cutting the sealant with fishing line, removing the vinyl and then resticking the glass once the panel has been cut out.
The matt black will eliminate any reflections off the panel making it look that much better.

I've just had my rear quarter windows fitted, I was going to go for dummy windows but went for cut outs instead as my r&r bed will be fitted at the back so wanted whoever sits on it to be able to see out
I'm not having fitted units in mine though so won't have the same issue as you mentioned

I think AS2 is the tint code, also known as "green" windows? I have a sliding door with existing window arriving in AS2, so will have to decide to match to that or go privacy for rear quarter n/s, and dummy window or not on the o/s. I'll probably go for a real window as I will enjoy the visibility when driving until the conversion.

I've seen a few conversions where people put a massive vw logo on the back of the furniture so it's visible through the o/s/r quarter window. Under privacy glass that could be quite subtle, but next owner may not agree, so may affect the value (and difficult to change later)

Pictures please, am trying to decide.
Won’t have real windows as furniture will block drivers side anyway and don’t want full glass all around.

I have a T6 in candy white.

personal preference is that i prefer the look of windows all round but is it not something you can do later if you choose to?

Back