Windows All Round Or Not?? Dummy or not??

TyBurgess21

Now, before I begin. This should probably go in the exterior section... however, bare with me...

At the moment my T6 is a panel van. First thing on my list is windows, I'm torn between getting the just the middle section glazed, or the rear section glazed as well. I was wondering if anyone here had any pictures looking out of their camper through these variants that they could possibly share?

Obvious getting all 4 done would let in more light and make it feel more "roomy", But leaving the rear sections would possibly make it more cosey and private (even though blinds are an option)? I would do the middle section and then see how I feel, but I don't really want to insulate and carpet the rear sections just to cut it out a month later.

Thanks!

Hi @TyBurgess21 I bought a Kombi so already had the middle windows. I rented a camper up in Scotland before I purchased my own. It only had the middle set (aka Kombi style) I thought it would be ok, but sitting in the back it felt a little shut off.

I have two kids and it felt like I was putting them in a (carpeted) van.

When I bought my own I put a window on the NS rear and it feels more finished in my opinion. It's really a personal choice. Enjoy the process though, believe me there will be a load more decisions down the line.

IMG_20170803_195215~2.jpg IMG_20180527_203950_01.jpg

hey guys, been thinking about this lately have looked at the dummy windows and don’t really see the point, anyone had some fitted? What was the cost? And any pics inside and out?

I have fitted a side window is a transit day van I built awhile bk and wouldn’t want to do it on my t6,

Last edited:
I have dummy side windows.
The engineer in me abhors the added weight but Find they really finish off the side of the van, filling in the panel behind the Kombi side windows.
I think the aesthetic improvement outweighs the, err, additional weight.
Van-2-2.jpg Van-1-2.jpg

I understand they finish the outside but seems like if your fitting a dummy “glass” window why not make it a proper window you can see through?

Yeah i was going for dummy windows but got advised to have them cut out,so had the rear quaters cut out and oem privacy glass fitted to match the sliders bought from tps.
With the dummy windows you either have to get the inside tinted or sprayed but they peel or flake ,and you are spose to leave a small gap in the sealer at bottom of glass to stop condensation and misting up

Nice @andythom188 , would like to see anyone else who’s had this done without a conversion as I won’t be converting mine so would be nice to see what finish can be achieved

Nice @andythom188 , would like to see anyone else who’s had this done without a conversion as I won’t be converting mine so would be nice to see what finish can be achieved
To get a good finish i was told to get the window cut out then carpet line folding carpet over the lip then bond the window.
My old t4 2.5tdi blue i cut out the windows and knocked edging strip onto the edges

Ah I get you so the carpet edge goes under the rubber edging that covers the cut

Just thinking of installing dummy rear quarters but thinking ahead, in case I want to get the windows opened up in the future, what do you think about putting a panel of 3M vinyl onto the rear quarter panel first before sticking a limo tint window on top of it.
If I feel the need for a see through window in the future I should be able to cut through the PU sealant with some fishing line to remove the glass panel and then peel off the vinyl to leave a clean panel before cutting and resealing the window (thinking it will be easier to clean the sealant off the glass than off the paintwork)

Just thinking of installing dummy rear quarters but thinking ahead, in case I want to get the windows opened up in the future, what do you think about putting a panel of 3M vinyl onto the rear quarter panel first before sticking a limo tint window on top of it.
If I feel the need for a see through window in the future I should be able to cut through the PU sealant with some fishing line to remove the glass panel and then peel off the vinyl to leave a clean panel before cutting and resealing the window (thinking it will be easier to clean the sealant off the glass than off the paintwork)
Would the weight of the glass not pull away the vinyl from the panel?

I wouldn't have thought so, a panel that size properly fitted would take some pulling to get off without a piece of glass attached.

I thought our T6 looked great without the dummy rears, but after some consideration I had them fitted and I think they look fantastic. I didn't want the windows to let the light in, as I carry a couple of expensive e-bikes I don't want to be on display. What you cant see, wont make you want them right!!…..

Before the rear dummy windows were fitted the side of the van was professionally sprayed black behind the window and then the adhesive added around the window and then a gap was left for ventilation to stop the window misting which could in turn cause green algae behind making it a waste of time and money!

Below are a couple of pictures before and after

2018-02-07 16.55.07.jpg 2018-07-27 18.17.24-1.jpg

Back