Wind out awnings for T6 Kombi

boxer750

VIP Member
T6 Pro
I've been following a few threads about wind out awnings and not sure I have all the facts yet so cant completely confuse myself :D

Be great of someone knowledgeable could confirm what seems to be the case to me..?
1. The 'main players' are Thule and Reimco, and in all honesty there's not a huge amount between them.
2. In order to mount either or any of them, it's likely I (or someone else) will need to pop a couple of holes in the van and the brackets will also be stuck on, meaning they won't come off easily either. (I did think it might live in the garage in the winter.. (the awning, that is..), but that would mean driving around with brackets showing? On that point, do these awnings survive a winter on the van without issues?
3. Can anyone tell me, do both the main awnings come with everything you need to use them.. or do you have to buy all sorts of 'accessories' in order to be able to actually use them?
4. As my trips in the van will often be solo, can the awnings be easily deployed by Billy no Mates? :)

Pete

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Fiamma awning, which I would guess is probably the most common.
They sell specific mounting brackets which bolt onto the existing fixings for roof rails and are also glued.
I leave mine on permanently without any issues
they come complete with everything you need
yes it a simple one person job to deploy and wind back in again

link below to the website where you can look at the awnings and fittings etc

Reactions: CAB
Interested in this, particularly being able to fit the brackets and then remove them without leaving any marks on the van

The ones that look like they bolt into where the roof rails go, do you need to glue them onto the roof as well? Reimo rail looks like extra expense and like it also needs to be permanently attached to the van?

I’m like you looking for an awning (wind out) what I can take off for the winter, without leaving brackets or holes in the van... love the idea of the fiamma , but I just think it spoils the look of the van

Interested in this, particularly being able to fit the brackets and then remove them without leaving any marks on the van

The ones that look like they bolt into where the roof rails go, do you need to glue them onto the roof as well? Reimo rail looks like extra expense and like it also needs to be permanently attached to the van?
Yes they have to be stuck on with silafix or similar

The Fiamma F40 is removable.
Bolts to the front and rear roof mounts. No bonding required.
Mine’s been on and off through summer but will be coming off for the winter next weekend once we’re back from Cornwall.

The F40 wont be suitable if @boxer750 decides to go with a pop top. Similarly, mounting any wind out awning via the roof rail mounts may not be an option with a pop-top and tailored brackets for the van/roof combination may be required.

That F40 looks like a better option for someone like me - no pop top and no plans for one. Great to be able to wind out when just somewhere for the day or the odd camping trip

But I've also just realised that it'll stop me from getting under 2m height restrictions which would be a major hindrance where I live, big shame. Awning rail and tarp set up would probably be a better option for me, nevermind

That F40 looks like a better option for someone like me - no pop top and no plans for one. Great to be able to wind out when just somewhere for the day or the odd camping trip

But I've also just realised that it'll stop me from getting under 2m height restrictions which would be a major hindrance where I live, big shame. Awning rail and tarp set up would probably be a better option for me, nevermind
A Debus Sun Awning/Tarp is a simple and practical possibility - very easy to attach & pitch with just two poles and you can also drop the front down in bad weather to create a more enclosed set up (see photo). Or, if you want something that you can attach side & front walls when required, have a look at the Khyam Sun Canopy set up. That is also quick and easy to set up.

debus half2.jpg

Following with interest as I also plan to get a wind out in the coming months. I have roof rails on my van and plan to keep them so need brackets that will allow me to keep the rails.

@boxer750 there are equivalent mounting brackets for the Thule awnings that fit onto the roof rail mounting points. Photos from the Thule awnings adapter document below FYI. I’m thinking at the moment that I’ll get a Reimo Multirail and use the adaptor that attaches to that. It will also give me a bit more versatility if I take the wind out off as I can use the multi rail for a driveaway or a tarp or whatever

A7477185-DD8E-44FF-98E4-B42A59071038.pngE1DC7DF0-8B86-47C1-B27D-1AC8E37A8C2F.png96ED0DAD-8A6E-48D4-A8C8-E934289E4F21.png

Back