Will heated seats flatten battery?

nomislotsirb

VIP Member
T6 Guru
We have heated captains seats. Amongst the wife and I, I am the nominated driver to do the early morning and late evening runs to take our daughter to swim training. I fear my attempts to push for a diesel heater will fall on deaf ears whilst she's uses the argument that the heated seats are the answer. Would running one heated seat for just over an hour flatten the battery (with engine off)? Or would it simply time out?

The default would be to wrap up in a blanket, but I fear the daughter would disown me on her return to the van!

Many thanks in advance.

The OEM option only allows heated seats when the engine is running.....(the controller lights up with ign, but the seat don't heat until the engine is running)

Heated seats if retrofitted direct to a battery will definitely flatten any battery if run for an hour.

Diesel heaters are normally fed from a leisure battery, so wouldnt effect the starter battery.

Last edited:
The OEM option only allows heated seats when the engine is running.....(the controller lights up with ign, but the seat don't heat until the engine is running)

Heated seats if retrofitted direct to a battery will definitely flatten any battery if run for an hour.

Diesel heaters are normally fed from a leisure battery, so wouldnt effect the starter battery.
Thanks very much @Dellmassive. Can I cite you in any conversation going forward for the rationale foe the diesel heater?!

Post some pics of you van and dash...

Are your heated seats factory factory fit?

Can you confirm they operate the same (controller light on but no heat until the engine running?)

In my 6.1 the heated seats will also only work if you sit on them. (My daughter starts the van and then puts her school bag on the seat to overcome this problem!)

I have an Eberspacher diesel heater - whilst the fuel for heat comes from diesel, the fan to move that heat around is powered by the leisure battery. So far I've never managed to run it on lowest setting for more than 10 minutes before the van is so warm it has to be shut down!

So I would not worry about draining your leisure battery :)

I'm guessing you are trying to keep warm whilst sitting in the van waiting for your daughter? There are worse things than a blanket and hot water bottle, and the right clothes :cool:

Heated seats do flatten a battery without the engine running if the vehicle allows it. And then you get a phone call from the car park asking to fetch the van, so you have to go on the bike up to the van storage and then drive across town with the jump leads. Apparently. So I heard.

I don't really understand electric, but I do understand that if you keep taking it out of your battery whilst putting nothing back, when your starter motor wants some, there won't be enough.

OEM seat heaters draw approx. 7 Amps each (single seats, max heat) - thus basically not a problem alone if van is driven a reasonable time between discharges.
However, having ignition on to keep heater blower running (at speed 1-2) would add 16 Amps drain. Perhaps also cabin lights are needed, radio,...

Back