will campsites open this year ?

andy greenwood

VIP Member
T6 Guru
I don't want to sound insensitive discussing things like camping when people are ill and dying all over the world, I am fully aware how bad things are and its absolutely awful , fingers crossed this terrible virus will slow down and less people will get ill or even worse pass away.
To try and keep positive in these tough times though I have to think there is light at the end of the tunnel and with that in mind, what are peoples thought on campsites re-opening later this year ? do you think it could happen ?

I suspect that some sites will open at some point this year (and maybe even later summer) but I also reckon that when they do, shower blocks etc. might remain closed which makes things a bit awkward for those of us without built in facilities. We will probably also have to be self-sufficient in terms of catering / drinks etc. Speaking for myself, even if restaurants and pubs do open, I'm not sure that I want to use them for a while, particularly if they start getting crowded again. As an aside, I was listening to the radio this morning and some people from Dorset and Cornwall were complaining (in advance) about tourists who might (or might not!) visit their areas once restrictions start to ease up. I have some sympathy for them but I suspect that not everybody will and they might also remember such things later on when those places need the visitors to re-energise the local tourist industries.

There are people all up and down the country planning 'post virus' parties, get togethers, holidays, trips away etc etc...

Maybe a little prematurely, but i guess people need to see some light at the end of the tunnel....

But unfortunatley, the people from cornwall or other tourist destinations bleating about not wanting any visitors is a complaint too far in my opinion...

If every tourist destination around the world took that stance, then they would soon have mass local unemployment, row after row of empty closed down shops and hotels along with the thousands of people who would lose their livelihoods... I agree certain measures and social distancing will need to be followed so that we all stay safe.... but use a slice of common sense instead of talking bobbins...

I've got friends who run caravan/campsites in Cornwall. They're not opening until September at the earliest, if at all this year, and then only at 50% capacity. Maybe even only for people that are toilet/shower self-sufficient to avoid having keep communal facilities open.
They both have families with young children and are concerned about a second wave, especially as Cornwall in particular has insufficient healthcare facilities for the existing resident population without the added burden of a wave of tourists descending upon them.

Personally i think the majority will re-open under strict guidelines much sooner... Probably by July... or as soon as government and scientific advice allows.... this will also coincide with when the government stop paying them.... Big Boris will be making an announcement Sunday about getting the country back to work, the first phase will be economy driven, schools, manufacturing, construction etc... then after that i would expect parts of the leisure industry in small stages.... It's a huge financial burden on the government paying 80% of their annual profits and they won't want to prolong the payouts longer than they need to...

The problem then if campsites operate at 50% capacity is the prices will likely sky rocket as it will be driven by demand.

Last edited:
Demand will increase because there won't be flights to traditional foreign destinations, pushing prices higher still. Even when flights resume, they'll be far more expensive as they won't be able to cram people in like sardines as before. The only solution is a vaccine or effective treatments. Until these are discovered/created, our lives are all going to be very different. The pain will begin for real when the Government starts to reduce furlough support. I fear for the hospitality industry, which I think is likely to be decimated.

I think campsites will re-open once restrictions are lifted, although with limited facilities as Ayjay says, and as pubs and restaurants won't be able to cater to the same volumes as before, prices will rise, or they won't re-open. Better pack a few extra beers and an extra bag of Doritos!!

I've got friends who run caravan/campsites in Cornwall. They're not opening until September at the earliest, if at all this year, and then only at 50% capacity. Maybe even only for people that are toilet/shower self-sufficient to avoid having keep communal facilities open.
They both have families with young children and are concerned about a second wave, especially as Cornwall in particular has insufficient healthcare facilities for the existing resident population without the added burden of a wave of tourists descending upon them.
We were meant to go to padstow touring park in 2 weeks , they emailed us several weeks ago to say our booking was cancelled, they also said all bookings until September were cancelled. Surely places like cornwall can't afford to do this ?

Phase2 to be announced by the government Sunday eve.

I'm sure they are going to start a reverse lockdown.

Let's see how that effects things.......

Hopefully things will start to settle down.

Personally i think the majority will re-open under strict guidelines much sooner... Probably by July... or as soon as government and scientific advice allows.... this will also coincide with when the government stop paying them.... Big Boris will be making an announcement Sunday about getting the country back to work, the first phase will be economy driven, schools, manufacturing, construction etc... then after that i would expect parts of the leisure industry in small stages.... It's a huge financial burden on the government paying 80% of their annual profits and they won't want to prolong the payouts longer than they need to...

The problem then if campsites operate at 50% capacity is the prices will likely sky rocket as it will be driven by demand.
I don't really see why touring parks would have to operate at 50% though ? The pitches are normally well spaced do thete is no risk of breaking any 2m rules.

Park resorts are showing opening from the 15th May but are reviewing on the 8th
Haven we’re the same but have put there’s back till the 30th May

Possibly there just hoping but just keep pushing the date back to suit

Andy totally agree about the 50% but that is ok if people are wired up right and adhere to the 2 metre rule
@Ayjay i think you may have hit the nail on the head regarding the facilities, sites not wanting to risk anything

We have to hold tight and wait to see what happens

Andy

Last edited:
Ireland has closed all sites until 20th July and they are in a better position than us so can't see anything opening in the uk until after then.

Ireland has closed all sites until 20th July and they are in a better position than us so can't see anything opening in the uk until after then.
I got an email on Thursday from thornbrook barn campsite @ ingleton , they said they will open as soon as the government will let them. Obviously various safety measures will be in place but they said the shower facilities will definately be closed , this would be no good for us in campervans anyway.

We will have to wait and see what Boris comes up with tomorrow

I don’t know about around your area but the street parties we saw weren’t social insulating very well
So 7 to 14 days down the line we may be back in the same situation because of the minority who don’t care

Andy

We will have to wait and see what Boris comes up with tomorrow

I don’t know about around your area but the street parties we saw weren’t social insulating very well
So 7 to 14 days down the line we may be back in the same situation because of the minority who don’t care

Andy
Yes quite surprised to see so many together all in very close proximity. One group even had a live singer turn up! Saying that on my way home each evening the amount I see in large groups, drinking, shaking hands, fist pumps it seems not many are following the guidelines. Anyway we digress, just wishing to at least get a few weekends away this summer.

Yes quite surprised to see so many together all in very close proximity. One group even had a live singer turn up! Saying that on my way home each evening the amount I see in large groups, drinking, shaking hands, fist pumps it seems not many are following the guidelines. Anyway we digress, just wishing to at least get a few weekends away this summer.
Natural selection will take it's course!!

Back