WiFi Abroad

Guppy

Anyone any recommendations for computer internet access when abroad......what do people use???
Guppy

We used our normal EE package and it was cack.
They do a thing where you "break the seal" of a daily package by sending a text/using data then get charged about £5 for a mere 100MB.
Load of rubbish.

Will buy a dedicated SIM next time.
On the upside, almost not using an iPhone for five weeks did have a LOT of benefits.

We found quite a lot of sites had wifi otherwise it's EU roaming. We also have a MiFi but you need to change settings on phone and iPad because they do loads more data stuff like photo uploads and app updates if they see wifi on..

I have a potable Vodafone device that can connect up to 10 devices from it and it's really good. I take it everywhere.

Try wifionboard.com
Picked up their leaflet at the motor home show.
No idea how this stuff works so need to take a teenager with me next time!

We have a Vodafone WiFi dongle in our bus. Will it work when we go to France? Also will the Firestick connected to the TV work? These questions may have obvious answers but having never been abroad with our own WiFi I have never had this problem.
Thanks

That depends if you have euro roaming on SIM card.

Some Vodafone contacts have euro, France, Spain etc enabled as part of your package.

If not you will be able to buy an add-on to enable euro roaming.

Or

You can buy a local data SIM (PAYG) in the country you Going to.

You can call Vodafone customer services and ask them what you have got.

The fire stick will work with any SIM/WiFi

But some services might moan you are not in the UK..... Ie BBC iPlayer.

It’ll depend on the sim.
Also be careful with your devices, if you are using a phone abroad, you can normally restrict photo uploads etc. to not use mobile data, but as soon as your phone connects to your mobile wifi it effectively just opens flood gates and the phones can very quickly consume your data allowance.

Fwiw.

We went to turkey recently.

We got a 20Gb data SIM for £25 and put that in the WiFi box. (Bought locally from a side street shop that had an advertnin the window offering PAYG data SIM package)

That see us through a 2week holiday with heavy data use.

To sign up in a proper shop and get the better deal you needed bills and ID and passports etc etc...

So it was easier to just get a PAYG SIM for cash.

Reactions: Loz
Check your network provider. I’m on EE unlimited data and they said the free data roaming in EU would end. Then Virgin Media (I think) said they would continue. EE then quietly suggested they would continue to keep free EU data ‘due to the pandemic’. I use free data across EU to get BBC Sounds radio, and Car-Play it to the hire car. Also works as WiFi hotspot for the work laptop.

Sky mobile charge £2 access fee per day to use the data you've paid for. That can stack up on a big trip.....!

Reactions: Bav
I believe EE monthly contracts you need to add roaming at a daily charge or buy a bundle
EE PAYG sims are free to use full allowance in EU
Giffgaff you can use up to 20G of your data allowance while in EU (until ~10/8 when it drops to 5G)

Lebara have good offers at the moment.
If your phone is unlocked you can put a 15GB sim in for £5 for 30 days, rolling contract, cancellable.

I believe EE monthly contracts you need to add roaming at a daily charge or buy a bundle
EE PAYG sims are free to use full allowance in EU
Giffgaff you can use up to 20G of your data allowance while in EU (until ~10/8 when it drops to 5G)
Oh - turns out for contracts starting before 7July 2021 there is still no charge, contracts after that EE have brought in EU roaming. So when mine comes for renewal I might be looking elsewhere.

Oh - turns out for contracts starting before 7July 2021 there is still no charge, contracts after that EE have brought in EU roaming. So when mine comes for renewal I might be looking elsewhere.
I didn’t see that when I checked the other day. I’m sure it said there would be a charge

And digging further, there is a handy table comparing providers on this topic I found, which I shall definitely look up next time:

Bloody myEE! Been trying to get confirmation that the wife’s and daughter contract (both just out of contract) are exempt but keeps crashing and going round in circles. I’d recommend not using EE for that reason alone but also because I bought a SIM card for £30 with 100G on it, received it with actually a £10 and £20 top up voucher but somehow they put 2 £10 top ups on the sim so I had to ring them, then I was asked to prove purchase, he obviously had no record of my order despite buying direct and so wanted me to take a picture of the packing note to confirm but when he couldn’t provide a method to send him the photo he said he’d just have to believe me (thanks!) and added the extra 10er. Then when I asked if I needed to buy the pack with the £30 now on my card he said no he can see the pack is there and it will trigger soon BUT if he could see the £30 pack why did he question me over the top ups !

I used to work for EE way back when it was mercury o2o and have had an employee contract with them ever since (long since handed to wife) but I think it’s time we parted. The discount now is rubbish anyway!

Rant over

Back