Why I hate transits

@Niknak - do you get to work on ‘fleet’ transporters?

Not sure I’ve spotted a ‘bona fide’ VW technician among our congregation? I know there are a lot of very clever DIY mechanics!

Ian

The issue with common rail engines is usually 'hosing' injectors rather than dribbling. Once the little electronic valve is unable to close, you then have an injector constantly spraying diesel into the cylinder at several thousand psi. The failures I have seen have totally destroyed the piston and bore and it happens in a matter of seconds. Anyone doing their own servicing or repairs should have a workshop or garage as clean as an operating theatre when working on the fuel system.

The issue with common rail engines is usually 'hosing' injectors rather than dribbling. Once the little electronic valve is unable to close, you then have an injector constantly spraying diesel into the cylinder at several thousand psi. The failures I have seen have totally destroyed the piston and bore and it happens in a matter of seconds. Anyone doing their own servicing or repairs should have a workshop or garage as clean as an operating theatre when working on the fuel system.
When I worked in an ICE workshop for marine engines the fuel systems were overhauled in a completely separate clean room, all that care goes out the window in the real world for the obvious reasons.

Back