Why Are 'drive Away Awnings' So Expensive

Jason Williams

VIP Member
I'm just wondering why 'Drive away awnings are sooo pricey? You can by a huge inflatable tent for a fraction of the cost and as far as I can see the only difference is a small piece of canvas used to attach it to ur van.

Does anyone use a large tent and another way of getting the van involved?

#VWLife #vwdriversgetrippedoff

I've had my current awning for a number of years and it's starting to leak etc. I want something big like the 'Galli' but ur looking at around £900.:eek: you can get an equivalent tent for less than half that. I'm weighing up the idea of just getting a big tent and putting it really close to the van? 

Our Vango Idris cost £300 last year. I guess there is more work and fabric required to ensure it will stand up on its own, unsupported.

Pete

The tent market is much bigger than awnings plus the awnings have to come in a variety of heights for different vans. So less sales will mean less units to spread the design and set up costs across. The cynic in me would also suggest that manufacturers know buyers who have already spent £30-£60k on a van are going to be a bit more gullible and more willing to part with their well earned cash :)

Look for end of season bargains as the new ranges come out to get best prices.

Back