Whooshing air sound

LordGozer

T6 Pro
As well as the T6 we also have a Subaru Legacy diesel 2011 which has started to make a funny noise.

On accelerating I can hear a whooshing air noise from behind the dashboard, it sounds as though the interior fan is running quicker but there is no change to the speed of the air coming from it. I have also turned it off and it still does it. It stops as soon as the accelerator is released.

My first thought was a hole in the turbo pipes but my local garage has ruled that out when they were sorting something else for me, they inspected them and found nothing. They were a bit stumped which didn't exactly fill me with confidence.

Has anyone on here had something similar, I really don't want to give the garage a blank cheque to look into it.

Thanks all

Drove the car up to London today and 15 mins up the m3 the dpf light came on and started flashing shortly followed by the engine management light.

Interestingly I noticed that revving the car in neutral does not produce the whooshing sound it's only when actually accelerating.

Can't help but feel that all this is connected and still going back to the turbo pipes.

Any ideas?

Thanks

very very difficult to diagnose without seeing/hearing it.

It does sound like it could be something split or detached causing unmetered air into the system

Thanks @Chrisfraser05 , I think I will get a second opinion rather than just give it back to the local garage who inspected it and found nothing.

Hopefully it's not too expensive to fix as I've spent far too much money on that Subaru lately.

I have a T6 2.0TDI 102PS BMT Manual with 1200 miles. There is the sound of air escaping. It’s rather like the sound of the wind whipping past the vehicle but that cannot be the explanation because it only occurs exactly in step with accelerator. It is most clearly heard on a stretch of smooth asphalt at around 40mph in 4th gear giving the accelerator an occasional touch to maintain the speed. There have not been any warnings yet.

Is the plug in place in the sink....we heard the noise of the wind coming up the drain pipe

Drove the car up to London today and 15 mins up the m3 the dpf light came on and started flashing shortly followed by the engine management light.

Interestingly I noticed that revving the car in neutral does not produce the whooshing sound it's only when actually accelerating.

Can't help but feel that all this is connected and still going back to the turbo pipes.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Hi LordGozer,

I experienced exactly the same issue yesterday with my Subaru Legacy SW 2011. I was on 400km trip, approximately in the half of the journey engine started to produce that "whooshing air" sound during accelerations and after next 100km the DPF light started to flash. As I am currently on the trip in mountains I have to make 500km more to get to Subaru service point but I am quite afraid that I can damage the engine or something else.

Just to point out, I am visiting Subaru service every 15000 km as recommended by the manufacturer. Last service has been done four months ago.

I really wonder if you managed to solve this problem. How is it with your car? Did you solve the issue? If so, what was the problem and what was the solution, please?

Just picked the car up from the garage, had a new DPF as it was totally clogged apparently and had tried to regenerate 250 times.

Still got the same noise issue though. Nearly £2000 spent on this issue now and still not resolved. There goes the October half term holiday in the sun..............

The garage is stumped as to what the issue is. What confuses them is that is does not make the noise when revving in neutral.

@Legacy2011 the garage does not seem to be worried by it though. I think it is time to get a second opinion. Let me know if you get your issue fixed though and I'll also keep you updated.

Going to give the car a long drive this weekend to see if the DPF light comes back as I am still convinced the 2 issues are connected.

You realise for £500 you could of had the dpf removed and the car remaped with more power and economy and no more dpf issues ever again... Also almost definitely a boost/ induction leak, try a better garage.

A second opinion is my next move. I didn't realise you could have it removed, perhaps nievely assumed it needed to be there to pass the emissions test for the MOT.

I'm using a small garage that is convenient for work and used them for almost 10 years with no issues at all but now starting to have a few questions about them.

@LordGozer I just returned from the official Subaru Service point. When I came there and told them about the combination of flashing DPF light and "whooshing air" sound during the acceleration they immediately told me that broken turbo suction house will be the issue. This has also been confirmed during the car inspection. Once the suction house is broken DPF filter is also somehow effected, not working correctly, accumulating more soot than usually, and finally get clogged. That's one of the reasons why DPF flashing shows up in connection whit broken turbo suction. They changed the broken house, executed the forced soot combustion and now the car sounds and works again like it should without flashing DPF.

@Legacy2011 thats brilliant, glad your car is now fixed. I will ring the garage tomorrow and tell them exactly what the problem is and ask them why they couldn't find the problem.

If you don't mind me asking was it an expensive repair?

Thanks

I hope your car will also be fixed successfully. Maybe your turbo house is not torn but just leaking somewhere...?

In my case the repair cost me 111,-€ (they billed me just the material, no working hours). Even though, I expect they would let me pay more if I would not use their services regularly... I am visiting them every 15 000km and also with all issues in between.

Back