Who Fitted Your Hilo Roof?

Ann3x

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Ordering a Hilo soon for fitting in a couple of months, looking for a good, experienced fitter in the NW or midlands.

Currently thinking of Xtremevan or Hilo themselves (they do fitting directly now).

Anyone got any feedback on these options or any other good suggestion?

Go to Hilo direct if they are now doing fitting.
Yeah, I was thinking it makes it a "one stop" thing (fitter cant blame the roof manu if something goes wrong if theyre same person).

Ordering a Hilo soon for fitting in a couple of months, looking for a good, experienced fitter in the NW or midlands.

Currently thinking of Xtremevan or Hilo themselves (they do fitting directly now).

Anyone got any feedback on these options or any other good suggestion?

I went to XtremeVan.
Jay was good as gold, fitted the headlining that I wanted really well, and got the job done when he said he would. Paid a smidge over £5k if memory serves me right (scenic canvas, polished hinges, black gelcoat, roof rails with bars).
He seems to have fitting them down to a T - he had a load of roof cassettes set up on trestles so they were built outside of the van prior to the roof being cut, which he said speeds up build time and identifies any snags.

I popped in to see VisionTech too but they were a little dearer, albeit nearer. They looked like they had a good set up - they were doing all sorts of different things, like tailgate conversions and dash reupholstering. But they never got back to me with a fit date despite phone calls and emails. Plus XtremeVan had a date that suited us well (we were abroad on honeymoon). There’s a thread on here with HiLo prices if you haven’t already seen it.

I’ve since seen VanDoc’s setup and they too look like they turn out a good HiLo - they go a bit further and delete the two silver discs that are present on the roof (something I didn’t really consider having done).

Good luck!

I used Blackberry conversions in Belper Derbyshire. Real cracking job - not the quickest but real attention to detail.

I went to XtremeVan.
Jay was good as gold, fitted the headlining that I wanted really well, and got the job done when he said he would. Paid a smidge over £5k if memory serves me right (scenic canvas, polished hinges, black gelcoat, roof rails with bars).
He seems to have fitting them down to a T - he had a load of roof cassettes set up on trestles so they were built outside of the van prior to the roof being cut, which he said speeds up build time and identifies any snags.

I popped in to see VisionTech too but they were a little dearer, albeit nearer. They looked like they had a good set up - they were doing all sorts of different things, like tailgate conversions and dash reupholstering. But they never got back to me with a fit date despite phone calls and emails. Plus XtremeVan had a date that suited us well (we were abroad on honeymoon). There’s a thread on here with HiLo prices if you haven’t already seen it.

I’ve since seen VanDoc’s setup and they too look like they turn out a good HiLo - they go a bit further and delete the two silver discs that are present on the roof (something I didn’t really consider having done).

Good luck!
Hi there. Can I ask what two silver disks ? Thanks

Ann. Just spoken to Blackberry and he is on Facebook but not doing fittings at present. Sorry

Hilo roofs have a silver coloured metal disc on the top surface of the gel coat roof, one above each of the front securing points.
Their new roofs with the locking points under the sun visors have done away with these discs on the upper surface.

Hilo roofs have a silver coloured metal disc on the top surface of the gel coat roof, one above each of the front securing points.
Their new roofs with the locking points under the sun visors have done away with these discs on the upper surface.
Thanks

I decided to go with xtremevan in the end mainly because of the good feedback here and the fact that I might want a couple of other jobs doing at the same time (I guess hilo directly wont do that as it's not their roof). Going with some fun options:

Carbon shell
Jade coloured scenic canvas
Polished hinges

Fitting in October - exciting!

Question regarding the HiLo roof? Am I right in thinking the internal hight be reduced with a HiLo roof due to the canvas/frame being lower in the van?

From my floor to the under side of the bed is 131cm. I have a Caravelle floor which is slightly higher than a standard floor. From my rear seat to the under side of the bed is 90cm. The head room in the cab is the same as it was before. The Hilo is no lower than the original headlining.

1. Question regarding the HiLo roof? Am I right in thinking the internal hight be reduced with a HiLo roof due to the canvas/frame being lower in the van?
If you do want the exact measurements, I’m sure they have them listed on their website.

Like Deaky, I’ve got the taller Caravelle floor alongside a Cali rock and roll bed - I’m 6’2 and my head doesn’t touch the ceiling

Back