So suspension a minefield for those who don’t know what to get so let’s see who’s got what

• Bilstein B14

Votes: 17 7.7%
  • Bilstein B14 Komforts

Votes: 20 9.1%
  • H&R / Koni

Votes: 43 19.5%
  • Evo / Koni

Votes: 5 2.3%
  • Plush ABP Air Suspension

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • VB Air Suspension

• Standard Springs

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Lowering Springs only

Votes: 11 5.0%
  • DCC

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • Twin Monotube Projekt

Votes: 11 5.0%
  • SoLow

Votes: 19 8.6%
  • Stance+

Votes: 6 2.7%
  • Van Slam

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • KW V1

• STX

Votes: 34 15.5%
  • Bluebird

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • H&R Monotube coilovers

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • Seikel Desert HD +50

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • KW V2

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • STX-A

Votes: 4 1.8%

• Total voters
You have it spot on , a damping adjustable s hock the same length as standard is the answer , If i recall the VB air has alco shocks ( not well known ) the Koni damper i am suggesting will be streets better . Bigger ARB will not affect comfort BUT wont help you issue either they only function in corners

They are easy enough to make , but if VW had them surely the £8500.00 would have been a little more realistic ?? the bump stops are approx. a tenner .

Please note i didn't get a quote from VW, the owner of a van who was suing a guy for supplying a van butchered at the rear was. He was asked to get a quote from VW which he did £8500.00 . We had already repaired the car, but the new owner was not a happy Chappy that the rear was left in an unsafe condition when he purchased it . .
I can’t comment on the unsafe condition that van was in, but the point needs to be understood that not all installers of air suspension systems “butcher” the chassis.

As I said earlier, any van to which I fit air can easily and safely have a conventional rear spring fitted without the need for any rework. Simple rework can be done to the van to bring the bump stop back to 100% factory.

I don’t think it’s appropriate to generalise as you did previously, using a one off £8500 quote to attempt to tarnish all air installs.

I also can’t comment on the reliability or after sales support of VB systems, but I do know that the reliability and after sales support for the systems I fit are outstanding.

A well installed, well considered air suspension installation isn’t something that should be feared. Done properly, using the right kit and serviced annually, an air suspension install should provide years of trouble free service.

I can’t comment on the unsafe condition that van was in, but the point needs to be understood that not all installers of air suspension systems “butcher” the chassis.

As I said earlier, any van to which I fit air can easily and safely have a conventional rear spring fitted without the need for any rework. Simple rework can be done to the van to bring the bump stop back to 100% factory.

I don’t think it’s appropriate to generalise as you did previously, using a one off £8500 quote to attempt to tarnish all air installs.

I also can’t comment on the reliability or after sales support of VB systems, but I do know that the reliability and after sales support for the systems I fit are outstanding.

A well installed, well considered air suspension installation isn’t something that should be feared. Done properly, using the right kit and serviced annually, an air suspension install should provide years of trouble free service.
No idea where you going with this lad ??
we weren't asking you to comment on reliability of VB air , there is enough stuff on here already , its a pity no one from VB air comes on here to help and comment however . we weren't asking about the reliability of your kits either we were just trying to help a member with a problem with his California if you look back at the post .

We have the tubes made and keep them in stock ( how sad ) however VW do not sell the tube on its own , you have to buy the floor , ( Straight from TPS s Mouth) , confirmed by the client who had a quote from VW , so what parts are you referring to that can repair this from VW ??
VB are the only air suspension that remove the bump stop tube completely I believe?
V B air aren't into the looks business , they do air systems for industry ambulances etc etc , this is why their systems cant be driven lower than 20 mm , the bags that they use probably would be under inflated and the drive will be terrible if they went 40 to 50 mm lower as an example .
Their kit is proving to be unreliable based on the feed back we are getting from the clients who have them .,

Last removal was a London based business man and every time he turned a left corner the air escaped from the front N S bag , it was the second time it happened and the first time they warranted it , the second time they told him he was on his own . He did a thing on this forum with the box of parts which he was posting back to VB. The story is there to read .

View attachment 219301
it does look a very basic set up, but as you say, it's not about looks for VB. The good news is there are air suspension out there that look good, drive great and offer extremely accurate self levelling with complete reliability.

Last edited:
I think just as the bellows pressure changes front and rear with load, spring pressure would change by the same amount wouldn't it? Difference being that the geometry doesn't change on air (which may or may not be good thing if you intend for geometry changing when cornering).
If it's a level based system, the pressure will change as you add load. Pressure based systems will stay the same.

The level based system don't change while in motion though, this is important so it's not constantly changing as you drive.

VB are the only air suspension that remove the bump stop tube completely I believe?

it does look a very basic set up, but as you say, it's not about looks for VB. The good news is there are air suspension out there that look good, drive great and offer extremely accurate self levelling with complete reliability.
Yes they do take it down to a 20 mm height , which is useless for anything after , except rewelding a new tube .

There was another system we removed ( dont know the name ) that cut off the bump on the lower control arm where the spring rubber sits . that was a nightmare as its Cast iron , not suitable for welding a repair on that, cost from VW for 2 new arms was exorbitant. we had to fabricate something that resembled the original and we made it bolt in . Client wasn't happy that he had just purchased the van like this and was trying to recover the cost for 2 new arms from the seller . Dont know how that went to be honest ( £2000.00 plus if i recall)
I dont know about "basic" the top mount where the air bag sits on the upper strut mount has a serious off set , haven't quite worked out what that's for , but looks pricey to make . you cant see it in the box . It actually looks like they are trying to manipulate the thrust angle ???

Yes they do take it down to a 20 mm height , which is useless for anything after , except rewelding a new tube .

There was another system we removed ( dont know the name ) that cut off the bump on the lower control arm where the spring rubber sits . that was a nightmare as its Cast iron , not suitable for welding a repair on that, cost from VW for 2 new arms was exorbitant. we had to fabricate something that resembled the original and we made it bolt in . Client wasn't happy that he had just purchased the van like this and was trying to recover the cost for 2 new arms from the seller . Dont know how that went to be honest ( £2000.00 plus if i recall)
I dont know about "basic" the top mount where the air bag sits on the upper strut mount has a serious off set , haven't quite worked out what that's for , but looks pricey to make . you cant see it in the box . It actually looks like they are trying to manipulate the thrust angle ???

I believe it was only the very old Airrex that needed that much removed. I've not seen a van on Airrex though for probably 9 years. All the current air suspension systems (Solow, ABP, BNHF, HP Drivetech, Streetec etc) all leave plenty of the upper and low tube to re-mount a spring or adjuster and lowering spring rubber. All with the absence of the rubber nipple, but as we've established, its easy enough to reverse this and re-add one if the owner really wants too. I personally don't think thats necessary though.

I see no need for an offset top mount, that seems to be over complicating things. A spring, or air spring (which is all an air suspension bag is) can't manipulate a thrust angle, that couldn't only be changed by the strut.

T6 with Eibach Pro lift springs and Koni FSD special active.
Raised 25mm in the rear and 30mm in the front. Sits level, rides well.
Sold the T6 and bought a T6.1, contemplating the twin mono tube project lift. Any thoughts or experiences on the Twin mono project set up?

Twin Projekt lows here. I fitted them 10 monthe ago and have been all over the country, A roads, B roads, roads that aren’t even roads lol, still really happy with them. Ran them for a while on maximum drop, then pushed them up about 10mm when I fitted a new chin spoiler to replace my destroyed one to get a little more clearance. Can’t compare them to others, but its night and day vs stock shocks with crap lowering springs ;)

Twin Projekt lows here. I fitted them 10 monthe ago and have been all over the country, A roads, B roads, roads that aren’t even roads lol, still really happy with them. Ran them for a while on maximum drop, then pushed them up about 10mm when I fitted a new chin spoiler to replace my destroyed one to get a little more clearance. Can’t compare them to others, but its night and day vs stock shocks with crap lowering springs ;)
Thanks Funbus, I’ve heard great things about them. I’d love to hear from someone with the lifted version.

Back