White Reflective Tape On The Rear Of A Van?

Grim Reaper

VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Followed this VW Transporter tonight, it had white reflective tape on the rear doors.
Very distracting.
Is it legal?
Discuss..
Reflective.jpg

Followed this VW Transporter tonight, it had white reflective tape on the rear doors.
Very distracting.
Is it legal?
Discuss..
View attachment 55427

There is a discussion on blatchat about adding reflective tape to increase visibility and the general consensus is that white on rear facing surfaces is a bad idea and only red should be used. I’ll reply and see if anyone has a legal viewpoint.

Ian

I had the rear faces of my motorbike panniers covered in red and orange reflective tape some years ago, I was on a trip through France, the Gorges du Tarn if I recall correctly, and one of my trip mates was behind me as we headed for the campsite. The light was fading fast and he had a blown dipped headlight filament so he was trying to keep close to me so as not to need more light than he had off his sidelight, but whenever he dropped a bit far back he had to put his high beam on, unfortunately the high beam lit up the reflective tape on my panniers so bright it blinded him every time he did it.
P1000681.JPG

Last edited:
Conspicuous reflective tape is applied on the rear of lorries these days. Most seem to be red to the rear and yellow to the sides. There's certainly specific offences for white lights to the rear, where they're not listed as an exemption. Problem is though this seems to refer just to lamps. Unless someones stayed awake long enough to sift through the legislation, find an offence specific to retro reflective in white, facing the rear. Could maybe be an arguement for vehicle in a dangerous condition, if it causes dazzle and nuisance though. As per....

The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986

Fair do's @Grim Reaper, please accept my apologies. Phone use & driving is a bit of a crusade for me...

It's currently not illegal to use your phone for photos/video when driving due to a loophole - the law covers using the device to communicate. They are looking at closing it with further legislation...well they were the election may see it punted down the line for a while!

It's currently not illegal to use your phone for photos/video when driving due to a loophole - the law covers using the device to communicate. They are looking at closing it with further legislation...well they were the election may see it punted down the line for a while!

Surely you'd be done for driving without due care & attention you'd hope!

Its illegal to hold a phone whist driving (or sat nav). You dont technically have to be using it.

Surely you'd be done for driving without due care & attention you'd hope!

Its illegal to hold a phone whist driving (or sat nav). You dont technically have to be using it.

See here: Mobile loophole for filming drivers 'to be closed'

It's not an offence to touch your phone whilst driving unless the officer believes you are using it to communicate. The wording of the legislation is what matters in court not any of our interpretations of it.

See here: Mobile loophole for filming drivers 'to be closed'

It's not an offence to touch your phone whilst driving unless the officer believes you are using it to communicate. The wording of the legislation is what matters in court not any of our interpretations of it.
I know, it's a really grey area. But you would be charged with driving without due care and attention or careless driving. The type of charge doesn't matter its still illegal.

I know, it's a really grey area. But you would be charged with driving without due care and attention or careless driving. The type of charge doesn't matter its still illegal.

How do you work that out? If it's not illegal to hold a phone for filming you've done nothing wrong. the precedent has been set in the court until the loophole is closed.

Back