Which VCDS cable?

rover220

VCDS User
T6 Guru
Hi guys

Got a hex can USB cable on order from gendan. Will that work OK on my t6?

Cheers

Been looking at the unit on eBay, vag com hex can 2017, they are less than £40.00, does anyone have one, are they any good?

They are cheap copies of the proper item and generally don't work very well, the software is free to download and use as the 'serial number' is housed within the adapter/lead which the software reads when connected, I don't think you will get all functions from the copy units.

Never personally used one but not heard anything good about them but the amount you see for sale makes me wonder, if they didn't work people wouldn't buy them and there wouldn't be so many around !

@Buster, for what it will save you to have one.. Have the proper one from the proper source and help them to keep what you find handy going and developing by supporting them instead of undermining them and giving your cash to a copier....

It's worth noting VCDS had a major update a few months back and this update was bundled with a firmware update for the lead, this update is required to work on euro 6 T6s and I would guess the update is to the detriment of the cheap copies

No, nowhere near @Buster but it is good for basics such as dial sweep, auto for locking, beep when locking etc but it can't do all the in depth stuff that vcds does

Does Carista have the same options as vcds
Carista is a cook book of mods so fine that is all you would be doing.
The VCDS allows deeper diagnostics and has more in depth programming but would you use it and get your money's worth?

No, carista is a dumbed down version that only has some set functions (albeit the most popular ones) it can read/clear fault codes etc but is limited in the options for changes

Hi guys,

If I want to get into the VCDS game, do I need to buy a specific one? I have a 2016 Gen 6 Caravelle but can I use any VCDS, seen a few online but they mention loads of vehicles but no mention of the Velle.

My son has a Caddy so would want to use it on that too.

They seem to be around £300?

Cheers Jim

Cant afford that one mate although may ring them tomorrow and change the order for an unlimited one.

It depends how many vehicles you think you will use it on in the future, its one of those things you tend to keep for life so if your into VAG group cars its good to have options for more motors down the road

Good advice guys, you never know. Thanks, have gone for the unlimited one. Now to play and hopefully not wreck the bus!

Back