Which stove top kettle?

+1 for trangia kettle, we have been looking to replace it with one with a whistle or folding but still sticking with it for now

Every day a school day!

This has got me questioning my daily coffee routine, with 1 or 2 cups made in the Bialetti per day. Only other bare ally cooking pot is our cheapo Go Outdoors camping kettle which TBH doesnt get used very much p.a.

Should I be worried and change my coffee regime?

Ally stuff is fine. Was a potential link to Alzheimer's a while back but it was proved to be a false alarm. The trangia kettle is a design classic, my trangia set is still going strong, although it's now powered by a titanium multifuel stove running on liquid fuel or gas

Every day a school day!

This has got me questioning my daily coffee routine, with 1 or 2 cups made in the Bialetti per day. Only other bare ally cooking pot is our cheapo Go Outdoors camping kettle which TBH doesnt get used very much p.a.

Bialetti now do Stainless steel ones that work on induction hobs :thumbsup:

Every day a school day!

Hi Paynewright,

Should you be concerned about AL. Well I am not up to date nor remember the details of evidence that I read quite a few years ago. There were concerns that Aluminium absorbed by the body from cooking utensils, could or may lead to Alzheimer's disease. That Teflon coating rubs of and is absorber by the gut.

"The majority of researchers do not support a causal connection with aluminium" from Wiki

At the time we did not wait to find out what the consensus was. It was not much trouble to change equipment. I should imagine that there may be much conflicting evidence that is hard to understand. One also must appreciate that some research is commissioned by interested bodies on either side of any discussion. Not all research is valid or verified or properly carried out or correctly attributed. This also concerns many of the things we are told or read in the media. Governments often leak or plant unattributed so called science based stories in news papers to further or promote its own aims. I believe that the media should always attribute its statement so that they may be verified.

So there is lots of stuff out about, that we may each deliberate upon and decide what action, that we may or may not take. We just decided to err on the safe side and sup off something that could equally be more dangerous or worse. However it was not that long ago when people working with asbestos were encouraged to suck it for medicinal benefits. That tobacco was a healthy substance to fool around with.

Last edited:
Bialetti now do Stainless steel ones that work on induction hobs :thumbsup:

Well all or household SS works on our induction hob but all our household SS pans have suitable bases for induction. Our camping pans do not need to be because we do not use an induction hob when camping. I did ponder on that my self but have never experimented. Oh hold on, wait one minute. The most exalted chief ( I have to say such praise, one never knows what they may read.), who is not present just now, Has a handled steel plate that is used for non ferrous pans. I have seen the most exalted one, utilising such a device when cooking with another older pan not AL so not quite sure it might be a pan without an induction friendly base.o_O:unsure:ummm

Every day a school day!

Coffee bags there's a big selection of coffee bags out there no mess to clean up ...... i leave my nespesso machine at home ...

best bag i found so far is PERCOL rich americano ...........AS EASY AS USING A TEA BAG ..... @Paynewright

Aeropress, just saying. Although that Judge kettle is useless for pouring onto the coffee:rolleyes:

The Taylor coffee bags I tried where awful!
Aero press is good but a faff when making multiple cups. And both options need a good kettle still.

Small and with a whistle would be ideal for me (trangia doesn’t have a whistle, that’s the downside)

Coffee bags there's a big selection of coffee bags out there no mess to clean up ...... i leave my nespesso machine at home ...

best bag i found so far is PERCOL rich americano ...........AS EASY AS USING A TEA BAG ..... @Paynewright
Ah, but, do the bags contain plastic? We use loose leaf tea for that reason though the major tea companies are gradually removing polyethylene from their bags.

I also have a bodum travel cup with press.

Cheers

Ian

Ah, but, do the bags contain plastic? We use loose leaf tea for that reason though the major tea companies are gradually removing polyethylene from their bags.

Cheers

Ian

i do also carry a S.S. Cafetiere and Costa ground coffee @cgtmiles after getting rid of the Ali Bialetti agree Taylors is not that good

im still loking for a good ground coffee i use a Blue camping ss kettle and it whistles... Top tip measure the water in the cup / cups 1st it boils quicker

Cheers

Ian

Until very recently, I did not even know that tea bags contained plastic. I am quite shocked The same was true of wipes. I should imagine that a high proportion of people did not know either. Would you know if Twinings The Earl Grey Tea bags contain plastic? It does not say on the Box 100. I only drink this particular tea and brand.

Thank you for bringing this up. I used only to drink loose tea, the same brand and type though I did also drink the Breakfast Lea and Lapsangshoshong??spelling? I could go back to using it again. Loose tea is better anyway. bags are just convenient. I believe that bagged tea used to be the sweepings and dust that was once lost. That is until some bright spark suggested bagging it and charging more for poorer quality tea.

The environmental issues, have caused a finger to be pointed at the consumer but as I have said most probably did not know and many still do not know now.

Look to see if the tea bags are compostable. I think the bigger brands are changing to compostable bags but a lot of the smaller higher quality brands have been plastic free for a while

Fact check edit: PG pyramid bags are even now fully biodegradable!

Last edited:
Look to see if the tea bags are compostable. I think the bigger brands are changing to compostable bags but a lot of the smaller higher quality brands have been plastic free for a while

Fact check edit: PG pyramid bags are even now fully biodegradable!

OK thank you, I feel slightly less guilty now. I will look at their website tomorrow. I did concider buying coffey from a trader that transports by sail in sailing craft. Its just getting around to it. It is just easier to buy from a supermarket. I think the sailing transporter also does other products as well.

We compost all of our vegetable kitchen waste includung coffee grounds and teabags (before using loose tea). After a compost bin dig out and scatter we noticed these white things surfacing in the soil and the penny dropped!

SWMBO found a good one cup stainless tea strainer on Amazon, made by Yoassi, for not a lot of money. We also have a pot with built in stainless strainer (from Sainsburys)

Ian

Last edited:
Hi Ian,
I have seen a few funny things over the years regarding real tea-leaves. One where were experimenting by tasting lots of different teas over a time to see what we liked and what we do not. We either followed the instructions suggested with the package or those that I preferred at the time which were from a very old edition of Mrs Beaton's cookery Book. A bit nerdy perhaps. Fist catch your kettle o_O We eventually came around to Gun Powder Green. It looked OK smelled a bit different but after infusing and poring into cups I opened the lid of the clay tea pot and it was packed with what looked like cabbage leaves. As you know most quality loose tea expands but this was something out of a horror film. :laugh:

The other thing was again many years ago. The lady who used to prepare our morning and afternoon tea at the work place was away or something. A young lass, what would have been referred to in those dark misogynistic days, as a dolly bird, who had only recently joined the admin team near to our clinic, was awarded the dubious honour of making every one in the extended department a cup of tea. So allowing for efficiency and through put to continue. The lass was away for far longer that expected but eventually she appeared looking rather perplex and holding a very large tea pot. We stared at her not only as she was drop dead gorgeous, wearing a very short, not really what was quite appropriate for the setting, short skirt and tottering on very high heels. A great improvement on our normal tea lady I might add!:p Encouraged her to overcome her shyness as:devil: we were really very nice people.:rolleyes:

She explained that she did not know what to do and. "How many tea leaves do I put in the pot, I have only seen teabags before"
The silence was quite telling but after a while of extraordinary containment every one and without without exception just simultaneously exploded with laughter. Only to gain another few decibels of laughter when the unfortunate lass, repeated her dilemma. It was a short while until most had calmed down. Naturally a gallant young man took hold of or should I say took advantage of the situation and instructed her in the ancient art of tea making. Pointing out that it was not individual grains or leaves but spoons Very cruel by today's standards but probably normal for the times. I think that every one, other than the lass had probably been used to making tea at home with loose tea, as tea bags were still not universally accepted in all homes Except that is for the lass obviously.

I remember nana saying 1 spoon per person and one for the pot! :)

She used to have a short tea spoon that fitted easily inside the caddy. I recently cut down an Ikea teaspoon and polished the cut end so it looked ‘factory’. It now fits in the tea jar!

Ah yes. I think that tea was taken more seriously back then. One tea spoon for each person and one for the warmed pot. Qite so.
By the way if you enjoys tea. Twinings do quite a few different types and premium teas not normally seen in the super market and evidentially one can purchase direct.

Twinings policy on all things green with tea bags!

I must make a fresh brew. Would you care for a cup? Slumming it with a tea bag but quite good Twinings.:geek::laugh:

Ah yes. I think that tea was taken more seriously back then. One tea spoon for each person and one for the warmed pot. Qite so.
By the way if you enjoys tea. Twinings do quite a few different types and premium teas not normally seen in the super market and evidentially one can purchase direct.

Twinings policy on all things green with tea bags!

I must make a fresh brew. Would you care for a cup? Slumming it with a tea bag but quite good Twinings.:geek::laugh:
If you are keen on your loose leaf tea, I can highly recommend "The Tea Makers of London"
Superb tea. Excellent mail order service.

Back